Betta Fish Forum banner

How my bettas recovered... :)

12K views 68 replies 11 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
A quick story about my bettas: I got them for my girlfriend for our anniversary but didn't know much about them so I didn't keep them properly, they were cold, gotten sick, etc. which brings us to the 1st picture:

The first picture was taken as soon as I got her home and the second was taken a few weeks later when he got fin melt. I wanted to sum up their worst state and continue on with the 2nd picture:

Here, they were all good, this was taken before I went home for the holidays and had to take my bettas with me. I carried them in little jars for a 4 hour trip to my hometown. They were feeling amazing back there because it was much warmer. I haven't got a picture of them during the holidays since I didn't have my camera with me but I decorated their 1 gallon jars with Christmas garments and they were encouraged to mate. He kept making bubble nests while she layed around 100 eggs on her own and ate them all in the next few days. This encouraged me to get a heater and an aquarium to keep them here, where I go to college.

I improvised with the heater until my aquarium order was done because I didn't want them to change back to my cold room temperature. In a few days I picked up their new home and set it up:

It is a perfect tank for two bettas! It has a dividing glass in the center which can easily be removed by pulling up. They are dancing all night so I couldn't take a decent photo. They are really enjoying their new home. Also, while the female was at that red can she had yellow vertical stripes which makes me happy. They are completely healthy now. Here are a few pics I barely took while they were standing still, breathing out the surface. :D

That's it, as I promised, I listened to a lot of people on this forum and did as they said and the difference is visible. Bettas are tough and they can survive cruel conditions but they won't be happy and they won't blossom and live the way they are intended to. Next step for their home is a filter-pump, I will post more pics if I make any changes and also make this thread a general thread about my bettas. Thanks for paying attention!

See less See more
#63 ·
I have to say that I read on one of your other threads a post saying Matt was being ignorant and I have met Matt in real life he is a member of the Alberta betta club and I think of him as a friend. As far as I know Matt he is a person willing to learn very friendly and someone who loves their fish. When you said he was ignorant I have to say I was willing to argue with that. Matt is a friend and I will stick up for him, why because he is the only guy I know who is his age and a crazy fish lover lol :-D
Saody you plan was wrong it has improved but still could be better. No adult fish should be will the fry as they produce a hormone that stunts growth. Your "all natural" idea is not amazing as these are domestic fish not wilds, they have different needs although the same spiciest. I also think you should buy another ten gal because I personally think if you can not provide the best for your fish then breed and still provide the best for your fish you should not bred. I would get another ten gal and divide it for your pairs house so you don't bred your fish then need to stick them in jars after their work.
You conditioning was wrong you were letting the female into the males side of the tank for hours then taking her away. In his home tank he would not be ready to breed as the conditions are not right. He could have killed her.
You should have the spawn tank in a 10 gal (this is what most people use) filled with 4 inches of water and some live plants for infursia and shelter for the fry and the pair.
A big rubber bin works great as a grow out and saves money.
I would have IAL in all the tanks.
I apologize for lashing ou at you but what you were doing before was very wrong. Make sure you have homes for the fry as much as you think people will fall in love with them like you did you must remember it will be hard find people like you and it Might be likely that the fry end up in a pet store that will sell the fish to people who don't know what they are doing and might kill them in the end.
Once again I apologize for lashing out at you, I am a very easy person to get along with and am willing to answer any questions.

#66 ·
I accept your apologies. Everything you mentioned above I have already wrote in one of these threads that I made, and how I intend to do it, so I think you haven't read that one, and it's okay. All the commotion we caused has led this to be one question on many threads and that doesn't work well. I am glad we are at peace, and sorry myself if I offended anybody. I will be more than happy to listen to your advice on any questions I might have with the spawning. Myates is already helping me greatly in my other thread, so I would be thankful if you would choose to help as well. I believe you are nice people, I am nice myself, but misunderstandings on forums can really go tough... It was really bothering me, I hope I'm in your good books again! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.