Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Tank Help> Mr.Aqua 3 gallon.!!

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  dash45 
#1 · (Edited)
so i just got a Mr.aqua 3 gallon filled it up with water to find out it is only 2 gallons oh well i said.so i have a 2 gallon aquarium with black gravel,a ceramic log, and HOB azoo plam filter with bio rings and a sponge. im going to add java moss soon and other live plants.
im buying a betta soon, a HMPK betta.
How should i do water changes the tank has been running for 9 days and has a baby endler (like a guppy) in the tank. so my water looks a little cloudy.but i change 10% of the water every day.

how regularly should i change water and how much:-D

these 2 images are not mine just showing you.

See less See more
#2 ·
You need a proper water test kit to know that for sure. The API one is much less expensive if you order from Amazon. This is the liquid test kit, not the strips.

Since you have a fish in there, and it isn't cycled, you will need at least one 50% water change and one 100% water change per week. Depending on your water parameters, you may need one additional 50% change per week. If you heavily plant it, you may be able to do one 50% water change per week. You have to test to be sure.

Can't wait to see pictures of your tank as it develops!

Do you have an adjustable heater? Bettas really need one.

#3 ·
oh yes i have the hydor theo 25Watt heater i for got to mention that.i have the tank at 88-89F

i dont have alot of money for a test kit i only have enough for a ammonia kit.

#4 ·
so i just got a Mr.aqua 3 gallon filled it up with water to find out it is only 2 gallons oh well i said.so i have a 2 gallon aquarium with black gravel,a ceramic log, and HOB azoo plam filter with bio rings and a sponge. im going to add java moss soon and other live plants.
im buying a betta soon, a HMPK betta.
How should i do water changes the tank has been running for 9 days and has a baby endler (like a guppy) in the tank. so my water looks a little cloudy.but i change 10% of the water every day.

how regularly should i change water and how much:-D
:dunno:

these 2 images are not mine just showing you.
50% every other day, 100% each week.
You can use a cup or gravel vacuum. But looking at the stuff you have in the tank, a cup or an airline hose (using siphoning action) may work.

Also, the baby endler will be more sensitive than a betta to water parameter and it is also a jumper. I'd make sure the beby endler doesnot get sick with opportunistic bacteria like columnaris and pass it onto your betta. And I think it might be overstock with bioload if you put 2 of them in the tank together. The HOB might create a strong current for both the guppy and betta, you may need to baffle it. BTW, how do you like the Mr Aqua? Do you have a close up of the seams/seals?

#5 ·
oh i like my Mr.Aqua tank. no i don't have a close up but i will try to post one tomorrow.
i only put the endler in there to help cycle i'm going to take him out thursday so the betta can have the tank to himself. If i do 50 % every other day,100% each week whats the point of the filter.
The filter has a flow adjustor and it works great my endler has no problem swimming .:)
im also getting a glass lid cut for the tank soon for the tank hopefully ist not alot of $$. an i have a led clip on light on the way.

#6 ·
You really need to monitor at least ammonia and nitrites. Try to get both of those if you possibly can.

I don't know about endlers, but best temps for bettas is 78-82.

A lot of folks don't filter tanks under 5 gallons, because of the frequent water changes and the difficulty of holding a cycle in a small tank. Some people do have cycled tanks under 5 gallons. I use a filter for water movement, an because my plants make it possible to keep excellent parameters with two 50% changes a week.

#7 ·
So all i have to do is what . Buy the two tests and do 50% water changes on monday and friday? And add lots of plants.
If i do 50%changes all the time wont a mini cycle start?

#10 ·
The thing is, a tank that small can't really hold a stable cycle.
I must correct you on this point. I run a 2.5 gallon tank with a sponge filter and it holds a very stable cycle.
Doing so many water changes will interupt your cycle. One 50% water change a week is all that is needed once you cycle. Until then 2 a week should be all that is needed till you get a test kit.

Also, get that temp down to 78-80.

#9 ·
so i should be fine with these water changes then unless my tests read other wise. Right. Thanks to everyone whos been helping me out on this the site has awsome respose time and great hels from its users.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.