Betta Fish Forum banner

betta breading info?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Chicklet 
#1 · (Edited)
hello, i have never had a betta before but i have a 24gallon saltwater reef. i want to get into breeding betta fish but dont know much. from what i understand, this seems like a good setup:
2 10gallon tanks (one divided for 2 parents and the other for the fry) also thinking about having the fry tank being planted but idk yet
heaters for each tank (recomendations?)
small filter for each tank (recomendations?)
what type of substrate would be good for the fry/spawning tank?
i think thats all the main equiptment am i missing anything big

how long should the female be in the tank with the male before they spawn? what about after they spawn or do i take her out imeadiatlyafter they are done?

also, can i feed the fry chopped up frozen mysis shrimp in addition to froz baby brine? (alredy have mysis in freezer for sw fish)

will most petsmart type places give you credit if you give them your bettafish? if not than i have a lfs thats a little farther but they will take them for sure.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR GREAT ADVICE IN ADVANCED!!!!! :-D

excuse the tytle typo just noticed it after i posted it and i cant change it but you get what i mean =)

See less See more
#3 ·
thank you for the thred link... but it still left some questions and suggestions unanswered...
1. can you breed the same pair of bettas twice (not back to back but when there firstr fry grow up so like a few months later)
2. heater suggestions for a 10 gallon
3.filter suggestions for a 10 gallon
4.i know i have one more question but i forgot what it is......:roll: (will edit this post when i remember lol)

#4 ·
hello, i have never had a betta before but i have a 24gallon saltwater reef. i want to get into breeding betta fish but dont know much. from what i understand, this seems like a good setup:
2 10gallon tanks (one divided for 2 parents and the other for the fry) also thinking about having the fry tank being planted but idk yet
heaters for each tank (recomendations?) 50 watt visi therm heaters The BEST
small filter for each tank (recomendations?) You can either get a sponge or corner filter. NO HOB filters, those are too powerful.
what type of substrate would be good for the fry/spawning tank? None. Easier to clean, and fry can get stuck in the gravel if you have any.
i think thats all the main equiptment am i missing anything big

how long should the female be in the tank with the male before they spawn?for all both these questions, read the websites I suggest. (Below) what about after they spawn or do i take her out imeadiatlyafter they are done?

also, can i feed the fry chopped up frozen mysis shrimp in addition to froz baby brine? (alredy have mysis in freezer for sw fish)Betta fry will only eat LIVE food. Such as newly hatched baby brine shrimp (BBS) and microworms.

will most petsmart type places give you credit if you give them your bettafish?I highly doubt it. FYI, your not going to make any money breeding bettas. You might be able to pay off what you've bought, but you won't become really rich. :) if not than i have a lfs thats a little farther but they will take them for sure.
Well, considering how most pet stores treat their animals, I wouldn't give them to a pet store. Even if the PET STORE takes care of them, odds are, the people who buy them might not.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR GREAT ADVICE IN ADVANCED!!!!! :-D

excuse the tytle typo just noticed it after i posted it and i cant change it but you get what i mean =)
Ok, first, I suggest you google breeding betta fish. Read EVERY single site that comes up. :) That is a good start. Bettysplendens.com and bettatalk.com are my favorite websites for bettas.

#7 ·
Breeding betta's isn't as hard as it's made out to be, I think we just get caught up into all the jibber jabber about it being hard, that we make it hard,

The one main thing is if your male wants babys or not.
Not all do and they have to be in the mood for it, If the male spends time attacking the female, remove her and try again later, He should show interest and then start a nest, stop search the female out, flirt alittle then go back to building, If nothing happens (bubblenest) within 24 hours remove the female and try again later,

Also Most all females once old enough carries at least some eggs pretty much all the time.
Barring isn't necessary or the pearl showing, That just assure a more abundant amount of eggs,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.