Betta Fish Forum banner

Drilling acrylic

820 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Welsh 
#1 ·
So does anyone have any tips on how to do this? I'm trying to put holes in the lid so I don't have to lift it up to feed my fish? I can just use any old drill bit or do I need something specific? If you have any experience with this please reply!! :-D Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm not to sure about acrylic, but I know glass you need special bits and have to keep it wet. You can always stop at the hardware store and ask someone they would know. :)

#3 · (Edited)
I did something like this at school, it sucks that girls were made to do workshop lol

When drilling acrylic heat is a problem for the reason that it causes the plastic to melt and it can also crack. The usual twist drill may end up chipping or cracking the acrylic because of its tendency to lift and twist the acrylic rather than scraping it like a drill, which is designed for acrylic. You can adapt a twist drill to use on acrylic with a bench grinder, simply by dulling the leading edge of the drill bit, or you could just buy one at your local hardware store that is especially made for acrylic.
When drilling the plastic make sure you start and end the hole slowly, if you are going to be drilling a few holes then make sure you wait a few minutes to allow the acrylic to cool down to prevent from melting. Another thing you can use is a holesaw but these are mainly used for larger holes and they it’ very difficult to prevent them from melting the acrylic which will then stick to the side of the hole, also remember not to drill too close to the edge because it will crack so try to make it as centre as possible :)
I think I'll get my father to do this for me though haha

I can't believe I forgot, use safety goggles and possibly some safety gloves just encase the plastic melts on to your hands :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.