Betta Fish Forum banner

Scratched Acrylic

949 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
How would you fix scratches on an acrylic tank other than buying a kit or something? I've read that sandpaper works, but others say that it doesn't.

#2 ·
This is only in theory, but...

You could try to buff it out with very, very, very fine sand/glasspaper. Like 20,000 grit or finer. I've used this on scratches for my car, very, very lightly, with a follow up of a fine cut 'n' polish compound and alot of elbow grease and then polish.

Not sure how well this will work on glass acrylic though, however I imagine it would be similar to the clear coat of a car's paintwork.

If you use too rough of a grit paper or compound, it will scratch the tank further. I'm not sure how to clean it out afterwards so it's safe for fishy either.

#6 ·
Sorry I've exagerrated.

You should be able to get up to P2500 grit. Pop down to the local hardware or perhaps even painters. They should have an assortment, just get the highest grade grit you can get, obviously tell them what it's for.

I imagine you probably wouldn't want anything less than P600 if possible. Don't forget the paste compound either :)

Just remember if you're using a fine grade sandpaper you may need to wet it a little.

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Probably a headlight restoration kit would work. Rubbing compound for cars also is an option. Depends on how deep the scratch is.

As noted, probably not the best idea if this is inside the tank.

#11 ·
Mistress those kits are just expensive versions of fine grit sandpaper and cutting compound :)

I did advise to be wary of how to clean afterwards, I think it may be necessary to use that bleach cleaning method and then clean again to remove the bleach. Not 100% sure as both methods may leave trace toxic elements.

#12 ·
ooo !! =)

what's cutting compound?

i recently saw a kit at petco .. but it was just sandpaper and some oil thing that you could use with your fish still in the water .. duno how safe that is @_@ .. cus i imagine your scraping off acrylic to make it smooth ..

but after having both acrylic and glass tanks .. i think i prefer glass better .. acrylic is soo nice when you first get it .. but becomes very dull after a short time .. and all those scratches D=

#13 ·
Before spending money, start off by trying toothpaste, rouge, face makeup, corn starch, chalk....any of that slurried in baby oil or water. Try hard texture cloths with that; finish with soft.

Failing that, try SimiChrome polish, available at any motorcycle shop, most auto parts stores, etc. They may also have plastic rubbing compounds and polishes made for plastics.

Rubbing alcohol will remove any trace of anything without leaving toxic residue.

In my opinion, if your tank is scratched so badly that it takes sandpaper to fix it, replace it or learn to live with it. Unless you have the professional products and procedures (like the guys on TANKED) working acrylic is a frustrating and stressfull undertaking.

The above is what I know from first-hand experience. Google Wiki-HOW and about.com for further advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.