Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #1 
RoMay

Goldfish issues.

As some may know Decade is a little ------- that ended up in my tank. Summery of this would be him going from a 6 gallon round bowl to a 1/2, and even a failed attempt to join a tank with someone elses betta and getting it's tail beat, back to the 1/2 gallon for a few weeks then into my tank cause he wasn't wanted no more. Now he's been missing quite a few scales and had some indentations on him but it seemed nothing seemed wrong. Time is passed he's getting along and now he's acting like one of the minnows. However the kid noticed what I was taking for grated.

"What's wrong with Ponyo?"

Ponyo being the goldfish's old name. I don't like it it's sticking as Decade as long as it's in my tank. Anyways left side of the goldfish minus a few scales looks like a normal goldfish. The right side of the goldfish about where it bends its body to turn is a large indentation. I would take a picture but my camera isn't fast enough to catch the bugger. It litterally looks like one side of the fish is caving in. It was not this bad back in December, and it's been a week now and it looks about the same.

As soon as the flakes start sinking it's like 4 Paranas after a nice steak. Plants are also well victimized so I know the bugger is eating.

So is this normal for common goldfish or something I need to watch a bit more.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #2 
shellieca

What size tank? Water parameters; ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph? What is the Goldie's diet? You do know Bettas are tropical fish & Goldie's are cold water. Your post was a little confusing for me but if I understand correctly your Goldie is in a community tank?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #3 
RoMay

Okay sorry let me run down this clearer.

Roommate N1 son's goldfish died. Her sisters decided to replace the goldfish but Roomate N1 didn't want anymore fish. So it was dumped into a half gallon after it just wouldnt die "natrually". Roommate N2 tried to house the goldfish with her betta to very quick bad idea. So back into the half gallon where it sat about 2 weeks at most with barely anyone feeding it and absolutly no cleanings. Feeling sorry for the little guy
Roommate N2 dumped him into my 10gal with my 3 minnows. My bettas are house seperate because, yeah, it won't work out. Goldfish ruined my plans of housing minnows and betta together but oh well.

If I further confuse you, you can read the thread "This is SPARTA!"

As for the Water parameters I have no idea. I'm partly color blind making those test strips completely usless to me and I have no one to tell me what color they really are. But I do clean the tank every other week and change the filter. Do a bit of clean up here and there because the goldfish trashes the tank all the time.

Tempriture right now is a mite is about 65 we hit a cold snap here in CA.

Goldfishies diet, those grass looking like plants in my tank, the java fern, the roots of the water lilly before I reburried it, tetrafin flakes (trying to get rid of em), Omega One flakes for goldfishies. I occasionally drop nori (seaweed) in there but I only seen the minnows snach that up. But he also does eat what ever floats up from the bottem the minnows root up.

-edit-

I just realized how much ---- that poor goldfish must eat.

Last edited by RoMay; 01-05-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #4 
shellieca

OK, thank you for clarifying. Unfortunately the 10g is too small for a Goldie & water changes every 2 weeks is not sufficient for a fish with such a huge bio load. Additionally, they need a varied diet that includes fruits & vegetables. 1 Goldie needs a minimum of a 20g in order to grow properly. If possible I would rehome the Goldie unless you can get a bigger tank. I know pet stores & such often give misinformation on how to keep a Goldie.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #5 
RoMay

You think I haven't been trying to rehome the bugger. Since "it's just a goldfish" unless it's on the dinner menu it's nearly impo-sigh-repetitive explination here. Plain and simple, not my choice, I prefer minnows. Right now my biggest minnow and the goldfish are pretty much on equal lengths which is about ooo, and inch and a half. There not that big (right now). Since I know about the bioload it's why I haven't given up on the plants and have to constantly replant them and keep them alive.

OKAY I will assume just to watch it for now. Since it doesn't appear to be a sore or anything bugging it. Just wanted to know if anyone knew what was happening.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #6 
RoMay

I remembered there was an API Amonia API NH3 NH4 test kit sitting near my room. I swiped it did the test then bothered someone to check it for me JUST to be certain. It is still yellow and I did it twice to check. Which to me seems a bit low for a tank having been cleaned a whole week ago for 4 fish, but they're certain both times it was yellow.

But agian I'll just watch the bugger/
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #7 
shellieca

Well I wasn't sure what you had done since these posts are limited info. most times. Without seeing a pic its a little difficult to say BUT my guess would be the Goldie needs a better diet if you're only feeding flakes/pellets. Goldie's actually need fruits & veggies because of the digestive system. As for the water test, well if you have the proper filtration & do regular water changes its possible the ammonia & nitrites are 0 which is good. You used both bottles right for the ammonia test? All you can do is keep doing what you're doing. Have you contacted any fish stores for rehoming? Sometimes they'll take them.