Betta Fish Forum banner

Ideas for "laying to rest" dead betta

34K views 35 replies 28 participants last post by  trilobite 
#1 ·
So, my betta died in the night. I'll get over it, but I'm wondering about how I should dispose of his body. I mean, any other betta I've had, I've just buried in the yard. Now, I live in a high rise apartment building in the middle of a city, and I don't think they'd appreciate it if I went out and started digging through what little dirt they have (plus, it's winter, and digging would be nearly impossible with a shovel, much less whatever I've got to do it). I don't really want to wait until I go home in March or April...he'd either sit rotting in his water or hanging out in the freezer. I don't think I'd like a dead fish in my freezer, and I know my roommate wouldn't. Flushing just seems so unceremonious, but it may be the only real option I have.

#4 ·
Cute idea but um...at some point the balloon will pop and what if the dead boy landed on someone's head??? (me: *shivers*) But still cool idea.

Maybe you could cremate him and save his ashes in a little jar or box? (like get a match and light him up in a safe container)

#6 ·
I like the flower pot idea... I live in an apartment as well, and that's what I plan on in case one of them dies. The decomposing body will provide extra nutrients to whatever plant you decide to use.

#9 ·
You could always give the little guy a Norse send off approriate for a "fighting" fish.
One of our girl's just and died and it being rather cold in Canada we couldn't bury her either and didn't want to flush her. So we made her a little boat out of carboard (With everything she'd need to take with her, of course -pellets, and some bloodworms, a rock from the tank, and whatever else you like). Then went to the river around midnight, lit the boat on fire, and let her go. (There was a cotton pad inside soaked in kerosene so it burnt well) It was a nice way to send her off.

#10 ·
You could always give the little guy a Norse send off approriate for a "fighting" fish.
One of our girl's just and died and it being rather cold in Canada we couldn't bury her either and didn't want to flush her. So we made her a little boat out of carboard (With everything she'd need to take with her, of course -pellets, and some bloodworms, a rock from the tank, and whatever else you like). Then went to the river around midnight, lit the boat on fire, and let her go. (There was a cotton pad inside soaked in kerosene so it burnt well) It was a nice way to send her off.
That is a cute idea. It sounds like a mix between Lord of the Rings (very good book, not as good movie) and the Vikings. I might try that for one of my future boys/girls.:)

#13 ·
I dont have a garden either, but we have a courtyard with pot plants in it.

So We always bury our fish in them.

#14 ·
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw these are good ideas and ill defiantly note these down.....except the helium ballon i wouldnt like to wonder what ever become of the body of a loved betta

#19 ·
These are all great ideas. Thanks, guys! I decided to go with the plant, since it was easiest for me and I already had a potted plant.

Sending him off in the river would have been cool, but I've never been down to the river here and I don't know how easy it is to access...plus that involves a trek through some of the more dangerous parts of town. But, it still sounds so awesome and a fitting way for a little fighter to go out.

#20 ·
Let's hope our fish don't see this thread lol!

Sorry for your loss, OP. ):

I'll probably end up burying my fish, but I like the potted plant Idea. I may do both and bury Lucky and Dragon next to a tree I have in my backyard.

#21 ·
My favorite Betta Kitty just died 3 days ago. I just put her in a tiny plastic container and put her in the freezer till Spring time. I have a little pet cemetary in the yard where I can bury her with her friends. My mom's Canary, My Cockatiel, and my mom's first Crowntail Betta are all buried out there. Sorry for your loss btw.

#22 ·
When Turtle (my betta) died I put him in a tiny cloth drawstring pouch, about the size of the palm of a hand. Then, I dug a hole big enough to put the little pouch in without bending it. My mom and I had a sip of wine to toast him, then she poured a bit over Turtle's pouch. I gently put the soil over him. After, I put a bunch of his gravel over the grave to form a little mound. Right on top of that, his rock. It may have been to much, but I loved him. He is buried right next to this beautiful tree with long extended branches. It produces berries in the Spring so it gets really pretty with all the birds and squirrels. I think it is a good place, back with nature and other little creatures.

#23 ·
When it's time for my betta to die I'll go to the lakes around my home. I admire nature and believe that there's some sort of connection with all creatures including humans and nature so I'm going to place him/her afloat on a lilly pad. I believe that my animal friends are only borrowed from nature and that one day they'll have to be given back.

#25 ·
When my little guy dies I will get a small thin plastic box, paint it with black water proof paint and wrap him up in a small hanky. In white water proof paint I will put S.I.P Phoenix and some very kind words and sayings. And then I will go a lake and gently put him on the surface to sink in to heaven. Sorry for your loss.:cry: Swim on little guy!;-)

#26 ·
For those who want to put their fish in a river - please reconsider. If your fish died from a disease, you run the risk of introducing it into the river. This in turn could affect many other fish.... (For example, Mycobacteria lives for months in water or on surfaces. It's a wasting disease that is ultimately fatal to fish.)

Cloelia - I'm sorry for your loss. And I think the idea of burying him in a flower pot is a good memorial. You'll be able to think of him every time you see the plant.

#29 ·
Mom has a pet cemetery around her shed outside. We have everything from snakes, iguanas, hamsters, fish, cats, etc. buried out there. I have a fish of my own buried next to my porch.

I think the flower pot idea would be good if you don't have access to outside areas.

#35 ·
The last time I tried to bury a fish, I found the container dug up and the body gone. Since then I realized that since I can't bury a fish as deep as a person is buried I could make animals in the area sick. I did find a sick or dead cat anywhere near the house or anything to confirm my fears, but I'm still worried about it happening.

So I just give a ceremonious flush. It's not fancy, but I don't have to worry about making stray animals sick by accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.