Betta Fish Forum banner

New to the betta fish world

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  grammymary 
#1 ·
Hey betteafish community,

I am new to keeping and caring for a betta fish... But, not new to keeping fish.

I have been out of the hobby for 4 years now, but I previously kept and cared for a 40, 90 gallon reef tank. (SPS, LPS, and some zoos and rics)

Decided to stop in a fish store yesterday and got bit by the fish bug... haha

deiced to re enter the hobby with a betta fish!

- currently feeding the fish flake 3 meals a day.

- planning on changing the water once to twice a week. (any information on doing water changes for betta's would be greatly appreciated ! ) (Also on how to achieve the clearest water !

-Ill let the pics do the taking on what my current set up for this little guy is.
(objective for his home was to keep it as simple as possible. )

-His name is Tuna..

See less See more
#13 ·
There is much debate about tank size. I prefer bigger, a 10g per fish setup, but it seems that the majority on this site keep a single betta in 5g's of water in various set ups. As Matt said, a 1 gal bowl/tank is the minimum. I think of it being like living in a tiny 2 room studio apartment vs. living in a full-sized house in the suburbs. I want to live in a house, and I do my best to provide my fish with the same accomodations. :)

Also, you can get a 10g tank at walmart for 10$...the 1g bowls run about 6$...I'd just spend the extra 4 bucks and get the big one. ;) The other benefit to getting a larger tank are these:
-a 10g can be divided two ways and you can keep a second betta (yay!)
-a larger tank is easier to keep clean, you can filter and cycle it, which will make your life so much easier and improve the health and well-being of your betta as well
-with a big enough tank you can keep some tank-mates (either other betta-compatible fish or snails) which gives some much-appreciated interaction to your betta. Which, again, improves the quality of their lives.

You hold their entire universe in your hands. Everything they get they get from you. It's your responsibility to take care of them and to make their lives as rich and fulfilling as possible. :)

#17 ·
Blue Fish put it best out of everyone that has commented.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.