Betta Fish Forum banner

Trying to make things work..

878 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Landon21 
#1 ·
Alright so hears the deal, i have this "container" that i keep two male veil tails, one female and one male plakat. I have the container currently divided so they are all seperated.. Im wanting to breed my female with one of the males and seperate the other two males into mason jars for the time being. The female is small, but shes showing the right stripes and is also was trying to jump to the males side. ive old been feeding them freeze dried blood worms. the heater in the aquarium keeps the water at a steady 76f, would this be a problem with the fish breeding? I plan to take out all of the deviders and they have a breeding container about 16 inches long, 4 inches deep and about 12 inches wide. will this work?

(im changing the setup and adding tons of plants and everything ill need)

Do you guys think it will work or should i wait?

See less See more
#3 ·
sorry for the double or tripple post but also: i have three males that i can breed with her, shes a regular veil tail with a little blue and red. i have one plakat male (red), and two veil tails ones solid white and the other is red with clear fins... any help would be appreciated!

#4 ·
I don't see why that container wouldn't work....personally I would go deeper with the water level...not that low levels don't work...I just like using deeper water with my spawns....12-20 inches....just add lots of plants like you plan and depending on your goals.......what are you wanting to create with the pairing.......anyway you can get the temp up to at least 80F......I have had successful spawns with healthy fry at lower temps...but they did hatch a bit slower and I won't say that they grew slower per se or stunted...but they did lag a bit behind as far as growth/development...

#5 ·
what do you think about me breeding my male plakat with a female veil tail which is about three times smaller than him. i have two regular veiltails ones white and ones maily red... but i was just wondering if i could do this with the plakat...?

#8 ·
Sounds like a plan....

When you mix tail types it can sometimes take longer to reach goals....

As far as humidity-I like to cover once I take the male out and if I plan to leave the male- I get it covered within the first week- fry labyrinth can start developing within the first 2 weeks from free swimming....since you have vents you may need to cover them as well....you want the plastic wrap to have water droplets on it and the air above the water warmer or the same temp as the water....especially for that first breath.....too cool and dry and you can end up with floaters....then you end up having to cull everyone of them since they can't swim properly and get off the top.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.