Betta Fish Forum banner

Intros all around

876 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Hello all. I've kept bettas off and on since I was a kid, but trying to get a little deeper knowledge on it all. Right now I have my big plakat, Caesar, a small female wild type, Monkey, (the kids named her) and a male pink pastel, Princess (my daughter's).

Monkey and Caesar are doing great, but Princess is the troubled child. One of the kids at my daughter's slumber party snuck out and dumped a bunch of food in the water and stuck her hand in the tank trying to grab the decorative rocks and injuring the fish. I managed to save her after a 100% water change, but "she" lost a good sized portion of her tail and suffered swim bladder issues afterward. She's hanging in there and any helpful advice on how to speed her recovery would be appreciated.

My main focus for all three is water quality and twice weekly doses of melafix for Princess, trying to prevent infection and promote regrowth of her fins.

I look forward to hearing from the community and hope to find a supportive group as I work my way into all this.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
stop using melafix. it's toxic to bettas and can destroy their labyrinth organ. just make sure her water is very warm and clean. you can try her on an AQ salt treatment, but make sure to limit it to a ten day program.

#6 ·
I think clean water will benefit her immensely. I wouldn't use the melafix anymore at all (or bettafix either). They contain an ingredient (tea tree oil) which can damage the labrynth organ

btw, LOVE the pic above. SO hansdome!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.