Betta Fish Forum banner

Please Help Me! Everything is going wrong!

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  tpocicat 
#1 ·
Hi Ladies and Gents.

Before I explain my issues, please don't judge me. I know I have got things wrong with my aquarium, seen as I have lost a total of 7 fish in just over a week.

6 x Rummy nose Tetras
1 x Betta (Who dies extremely suddenly)

I am extremely new to the whole fish keeping world, and really should have done more research than I did. I know that now.

I started my tank with 1 Betta, who was thriving for about 3 weeks. Eating fine, swimming fine, curious as ever. Tank was correct (according to what it said in my aquarium guide book) After a week or so I decided to get my Betta (Chin) a couple of tank mates (2 x Otoclincus) I introduced them after 40 minutes of floating their bag on the water surface. I know I should probably quarentine my new tank additions but I didn't know that at the time.

All was going well, Chin was as happy as larry. My little dust busters were hoovering their way round the tank, all was good. No change in tank conditions. Then my mum went out and bought some 3 Rummy Noses. I did the same as with my Oto's except all didn't go so well this time.

The fish were added on the Wednesday by Thursday morning I had already lost one. I put it down to stress as their were no physical marks and the others were darting around together just fine. All tank dwellers were in good health and spirits so it seemed. By Thursday I had lost another Rummy Nose. Now I was concerned so conducted a water test which came back fine. Nothing alarming. I monitored the fish closely and all seemed well.

Friday night I came home from work to find my final rummy nose swimming oddly, and my beloved chin on his death bed. I really began panicing! I rang my friend who said remove the remainder of the fish and do a 50% water change with spring water. Which I did and re-added the inhabitants. I had a feeling it was too late for Chin and my little rummy nose which was true. I found them belly up in the morning. No physical marks on them all together. All signs lead to poisoning in my book. Which I can't understand.

I did a full tank clean, placing my Oto's and my Apple snail in a holding tank whilst I did this. I cleaned the filter sponge and the gravel and ornaments and removed a couple of the plants that were looking a little ropey. I filled the tank back up, added the water purifying drops. Allowed it to heat up and added the Oto's and my snail.

I left them over night to settle in again before adding more fish. I went to the pet shop and picked up a betta and 4 Rummy noses. This was yesterday. As I sit here now I have 1 Rummy nose left and a Betta that seems to have a case of Columnaris according to my book and google. My Otos and snail are fine, no signs of ill health. Zipping about happily - even the snail.

Unfortunately I have no idea what to do with my Betta and his Columnaris or why my rummy noses are all dying.

If anyone can help me please do so. I feel like I am torturing these poor fish and all I want to do is give them a good home.

I tested my water this morning my results were
NO3 - Safe
NO2 - Safe
GH - Safe
KH - Safe
PH - 6.8
CL2 - 0.8 ish - Added more Aquasafe, as instructed on the test kit.

Tank Details
28L Tank
Internal Filter - Not under gravel
Lights
3 Living Plants (Unfortunately not many living fish)
Heater - Temp is around 78-80/26-27

What am I doing wrong and where can I buy the meds needed to cure my betta (in the UK)

Sorry its so long winded, but wanted to try and include everything.

Thanks

Meg :cry:

See less See more
#2 ·
This should be posed in the diseased and emergencies section btw.. anyway, use the same water you started with, not spring water, and test for amonia. i think it may be amonia poisoning, and also, bettas are solitary fish. they do not like tank mates. You are doing a good job with describing what is happening, go to the diseases and emergencies section and fill out the sticky that has quesions to answer. copy and paste it into a reply.

#3 ·
I wish I could help you. :/

Bettas can have tank mates so long as you get the right fish. They can be in community tanks...

I would suggest testing the water you started with as well. Do not use bottled water if that is what you mean. It isn't good for your fish. It lacks nutrients they fish need.

#4 ·
Your tank is about 7 gallons, that's really only enough for one betta, no tank mates. Rummy nose tetra are highly active fish that really should have at least 25 gallons to zoom around in. You may just get away with a betta and the oto the end, but just the betta would be best. Otos do pollute the water a lot.
When you say ammonia and nitrite are safe, do you mean 0? That's the only safe level.
Nitrates should be under 40ppm.
There is no "safe" gH/kH level, each fish has different needs for this. Could you please post all the numbers you have? Also, what aquarium book are you using?
Honestly it sounds to me as this tank is so overstocked that it cannot support all these life forms, and so they die. Could be any number of things, really, from lack of oxygen to stress of any sort. That many fish in that small a tank is just not going to work out. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
Thanks for your replies - Sorry I posted in the wrong place. In a bit of a fluster and didn't look properly. I have filled out the questionaire thing.

Here it is -

Housing
What size is your tank? - 28L
What temperature is your tank? - 78-80 / 26-27
Does your tank have a filter? - Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2x Otoclincus & Apple Snail
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze Dried Bloodwords/ Tubifex Worms (Dried) Tropical Flakes. A good Mix
How often do you feed your betta fish? A little in the Morning and A little in the evening
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Between 15-20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? StressCoat & StressZyme (API)
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
NO3 - 0
NO2 - 0
GH - 8*d (I believe it says) - In the OK zone
KH - 6*d (I believe it says) - In the OK zone
Ph - 6.8
Cl2 - 0.8 - Added more aquasafe as per testing kit instructions
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes - Columnaris Looking Marks on his nose
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I haven't had him Long enough to say
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today (Sunday)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not Yet - I am going to the Pet Shop tomorrow (Monday) to buy some Aquarium Salt & API Pimafix & APi Metafix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't think so. I only got him on Saturday
How old is your fish (approximately)? I would say no more than a year

#8 ·
I'm sorry for your loss. This incident is just an unfortunate case of overstocking and incorrect stocking.

As Olympia said, Rummynoses require a lot of space to swim around, and your 28L tank was only large enough for one betta fish and possibly some snails or shrimp.

I notice you didn't test for NH3 (ammonia)? That's probably what killed all your fish. It's called New Tank Syndrome, in which when too many fish are added, NH3 spikes because the tank is not able to handle the sudden jump in bioload. While long-term exposure NH3 causes ammonia poisoning or burns, sharp spikes can cause random deaths.

#10 ·
Olympia is right, considering the fact that NO2 and NH3 were both zero, and the fish must be creating something, whether it is handled by the filter or not, NH3 is your best bet. Get rid of the fish and do EXTRA water changes. I mean like double or triple! If not, you will have alot more deaths on your hands. (and if that apple snail dies, ima jus tell you you do NOT wanna clean that up)

#11 ·
Olympia is right, considering the fact that NO2 and NH3 were both zero
Original Poster (OP) wrote NO3, I was kind of hoping it was NH3 and they typo'd :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.