Betta Fish Forum banner

Hi! Site newbie and a question about temperment!

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  LebronTheBetta 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am a lover of betta fish and have had a few in the past (one even travelled with me as my copilot on our cross country move!). I have a 10g aquarium that has been cycled for well over a year in our new home, however with this past heat wave (which is rare in Seattle!) and no AC, my black skirt tetras did not fare well. My water tested perfect, so my LFS could find no reason for their demise other than possibly the heat. :(

So I am planning on starting my community tank over by adding a betta along with 6 neons (betta would go in last). When looking at bettas, are there any tips for identifying one with a "mellow/semi peaceful temperment"? Is that even possible or is it just hit or miss?

Thanks so much!

Jenny :)

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)
Bettas are semi-aggressive and the temperament varies. When you're looking for a mellow Betta, see if it flares at your finger. But make sure you get a healthy one 1st. Neon Tetras are pretty fast unlike Bettas so I'm pretty sure they could escape being attacked.

#3 ·
Hi Jenny,
Another Seattleite here! Welcome to the forum :)
Bettas will have different personalities but by choosing one from a cup in a petstore it really is a hit or miss.
I would stay away from those who look more passive as they might be ill or in the way to, of course if you're looking for a rescue that's another thing.
I don't know about compatibility with other fish as I have my hands full with bettas but he will need to be aclimated to his new companions.
What I do for my sororities is that I place my girls in a clear container floating in the tank with the others so they can see eachtoher for a week or two and I only release once I'm comfortable there will be no agression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.