Betta Fish Forum banner

New betta not eating

801 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  flowerslegacy 
#1 ·
So i posted a couple days ago for advice on caring for the baby betta i picked up from petco. he/she is all settled in but i dont think he/she is eating. all i have right now are micro pellets but he/she is not showing an interest at all, im going to try live food tomorrow but im worried.

#2 ·
Baby bettas from petco.. hmm. Lot of stress on the youngster and they don't tend to display them well. Room temp that is too cold for bettas.. even big ones. If you can catch some mosquito larvae that might get them interested in food. Make sure they all get eaten though .. lol. Keep isolated from other fish for a few weeks. Those fish come from over seas and a lot of stuff hitches on board.. many of it very resistant to meds as many breeders keep water medicated to control disease. Then when they get here imune system not able to handle it, especially after the stress of bagging and shipping. Think War of the Worlds..

Hopefully some live [daphnia or scuds are good too.. baby brine shrimp is kinda like chicken soup. Most will eat it even with under the weather and it keeps them eating] will get it interested in food. Keep warm, about 80* and if there is nothing else going on it shold settle and get eating again. Keep water conditions pristine.. watch for ammonia and the rest. When doing water changes do a little more often than a lot once a week.. especially with the stress just been thru.

#3 ·
Thanks! the tank is at about 80 and stays around that with the heater. so far he/she is active. ill check my lfs tomorrow about some live food they know me as the betta girl there. the tank is small and does not have a filter but i have been doing a water change every day so far about 80% due to the 1 gallon tank size. didnt want anything too big right now

#4 ·
Hi Maggie - I have a baby too. Just got (her)? about two weeks ago. I've been feeding brine shrimp, but one or two shrimps at a time. My baby is soooo tiny that she can't handle any more than that. I feed her twice a day since she's a baby and needs more nourishment to grow. So far she's been doing GREAT and her tattered little fins are almost completely healed. (I named her Chew Chew because she was so chewed up when I got her). I also have Praecox Rainbow fry in my community tank and I feed them the baby brine shrimp like Basement stated above. It's just like chicken soup aka. liquid fry food. But so far the standard frozen brine - one little shrimp at a time! has worked great for me so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.