Betta Fish Forum banner

Felix died...

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Jupiter 
#1 ·
This morning when I went to feed my girls I saw him lying on the bottom of his net, head in the decor...

He didn't seem to be eating since Wednesday. Normally all of my fish eat with gusto, but he nosed the brine shrimp around and only had a bit. Same with the pellets yesterday...plus he didn't seem to be as energetic, he wouldn't flair as much when he saw the girls.
I thought it might be the water, so I took everyone out and did almost a complete water change. All of my girls seem as rambunctious as ever, but...

I'm not sure if he was sick, or if he got stuck in the decor and died. I'm pretty upset about it, I feel really bad for him.

And, uh...I don't know what to do with the body. Flushing it down a toilet seems a bit degrading. :/

#2 ·
I am sorry about your fish. If you have a yard you could bury him if that would make you feel better. It would not have to be a very big hole.

#4 ·
Thank you guys. I'd like to bury him...but I'll have to wait until my aunt wakes up to see if she'll let me, since it's her house.

Here's something weird: Last night I had a dream about a betta dying.
I had gone to Detroit to buy some fish in America, and the bettas that were on display also had a random saltwater fish in a cup. I asked the lady what type of betta that was, and she told me it was (some random salt water species) and I couldn't mix it with freshwater. To demonstrate, she but a betta in the saltwater cup and it died. :-?

#6 ·
Aww, I'm so sorry Jupiter. I vote for outside/park as well. Return him to the life-cycle to feed some fortunate plant somewhere.
Guess we will have to make a marimo ball memorial tribute to Felix ;) I will tell you a little secret; shhhh . . . I was a little envious you chose the name Felix. Felix the cat is the only cat I still like and every computer I've ever owned was named Felix. Don't tell the cat people, we would not want to get them all defensive, now would we?

#8 ·
So sorry about Felix. hope your aunt lets your bury him. I bury my fish, but I am running out of room already.

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I've always loved the name Felix, I used to have a VHS tape of some Felix the Cat cartoons. I named my cat Smokey, though...

We have a backyard, I'm just not sure if I can bury him since it's technically not my house. My aunt's still asleep. thanks for the suggestions.

Well, on the bright side, all my girls still seem happy and healthy. The next male I get will be after Thanksgiving, so I can set up the 5 gal...

#11 ·
): aw... I'm sorry for your loss... Maybe it was something internal? I know that usually internal bacteria or parasites will tend to make fish lose their appetite...

I actually wouldn't recommend flushing him or burying him. Both ways, you can contaminate the enviroment. If you flush him, whatever he had can flourish and contaminate the water. If you bury him, a cat might come and dig him up and get sick or just contaminate the soil.

Most people say put them in a ziplock bag and just toss him in the garbage, but I've heard of cases where people cremate their fish and put them in small jars. XD I'd try and cremate my fish if they ever died ):

#13 ·
Thanks guys, you're all so nice.

My aunt said I could bury him, but I certainly don't want to get any cats or anything else sick... I guess I'll put him in a plastic paggy and then bury him.

#17 ·
I ended up putting him in a little baggie and digging a deep hole for him by some flowers. My aunt was even nice enough to come out while I was burying him.

My sister was pretty sad when i told her. I had showed her some pictures of him and she was in love with him, and was really enthusiatic that I take her bigger tank for him.

Thanks for your support, everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.