Betta Fish Forum banner

Fungus?

610 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Pataflafla 
#1 ·
I was here not long ago because of Ichigo's fin rot but later discovered that it was in fact tail biting. Since then he has stopped and he is slowly regaining new growth, but I noticed something on his dorsal today.
Located on the very last ray of his dorsal fin, I found what appears to be a small patch of fungus. I added two amazon swords to his tank about 3 weeks ago, could they be the culprit? I added some slate to his tank two days ago, did that cause it? Should I worry about my other betta having the same problems? I was sure to file down any sharp edges before adding it.
If it is fungus, how do I go about treating him, what about his tank mates?

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/ToriRyuzaki/Untitled-3.png

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 us gallons
What temperature is your tank? heater is set to 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes with carbon added
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes, an air stone
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? two apple snails and two cory cats

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Min flakes, Tetra brand freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly with gravel vac
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10-15%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator drops

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fuzzy white ball on his dorsal
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change, still very active and eating well
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just now, I jumped on this site and took pictures as soon as I saw it on him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Tail biting
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year

See less See more
#2 ·
Since it's fuzzy, I'd assume fungus.

If the corys are showing symptoms, I'd isolate him and treat with 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt and move to 2 tsp/gal if no improvement is shown in 5 days. 100% daily changes while in qt and redo the salt each time.

Also, is your tank cycled? If not, you might want to change a little bit more weekly with the snails (They poop a lot which equals lots of ammonia). This could help prevent fungus issues in the future.

#3 ·
Whatever it was is now gone. It somehow vanished between noon and 5pm on the 13th, the area shows no damage. I'm still watching very closely in case it returns.

Yes the tank is cycled, I used the mature filter from his old tank to help speed things along and the tank has been running for 4 months now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.