Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta fish home needs

4K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  wallywestisthebest333 
#1 ·
I recently took my younger sister's Betta fish, named Taco, because she wasn't taking care of him and he seemed liked he was just going to die if I didn't step in (he was starting to float to his side at the bottom of the tank and not eating). About a week ago he was suffering from what I think was a bacterial infection do to lack of clean water but after some medications and cleaning he is all better. At the moment he's in a 1 gallon tank no filter. I've been trying to learn all I can to give him a good life and I know that small tanks aren't the best for Bettas. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good reasonably priced 3-5 gallon tank kit or tank and filter and other items he might need. He has gravel and a plastic plant.

I've also been reading about something called cycling. Is that important for a Betta tank? How does one go about doing a tank cycle without having to sacrifice other fish and about how long does it take to cycle a tank?

Thank you so much for your help and this great forum. :notworthy: :thankyou:

#2 ·
I would wait before you cycle cause it can take weeks or month. If you cycle get a bigger tank (like a 3 gallon) and some pure ammonia and ammonia, ph, and nitrates, nitrites testing stuff. The others can continue...
I would clean his tank every day or every other day if the tank is that small and there is many 3-5g kits that are good so I can't pick which one. Replace that plastic plant with a silk or live one. That is all I know. Please oldfishlady come here...

#3 ·
Hey! =] If you're looking for a cheap kit I suggest the 5 gallon or 10 gallon (get the 10 if you can! =]) kit from walmart in the fish section! =]

If you want something acrylic then try wither a Kritter Keeper (found at Petco) or a Critter Tote (found at Petsmart) in the large size (it's about 5 gallons).

If you go that route you could get either a pennplax smallworld filter (petco or petco.com (it's only $4.00 on petco.com!!!)), a hagen mini filter, or a sponge filter.

A sponge filter is simply biological and mechanical filtration, no chemical. You usually also need an air pump, air hose/tubing, and a gang valve that's at least 2 ways.

You can find a good air pump, air tubing, and gang valve at walmart in the fish section as well or at your local pet store. =]

CYCLING:

Here's a VERY informative site about fishless cycling, and doing it with ammonia. =] http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/fishless/fishless.html

Good luck with Taco! =]

He's a cutie and I'm glad you did the right thing by saving him and researching about proper care! =]

Who knows? Maybe your sister will follow in your footsteps once she sees how happy and active he is with the right care! =]

#5 · (Edited)
^ ^ ^

That would be it. =] I have that verry one. I got it at walmart a few months ago. =] We got it while grocery shopping. =]

Forgot: If you don't already have it (Though I'm assuming you do or Taco'd be dead by now)

Water conditioner

Also forgot to tell you you need a heater and thermometer. I recommend the regular Marineland Stealth (NOT THE PRO), and the Hydor Theo http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11368

You'll need a heater and this one is adjustable so the temp won't fluctuate. Temp fluctiations can kill fish and the Tetra Submersible Heater's temp fluctuates like CRAZY! Seriously don't get that one. =/

You can find both of the adjustable heaters I suggested in any Petsmart or PetCo but it's cheaper online. =] Like 1/2 price. If you need it now though you should go get it. =]

As far as thermometers go just buy a little suction-cup tube thermometer at walmart for about $2. It's nice. =]

#6 ·
Thank you so much for all the replies. :thankyou:

I have been thinking about the one from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqu...ner=TnL5HPStwNw&sourceid=26053893044207578391

and this one that I found at Petsmart http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/mini-bow-desktop-aquarium-kit-50.htm

I'd love to get him a 10 gallon tank but I don't have room for anything more then a 5ish gallon. It seems like the more gallons a tank has the higher it goes or that some tanks seem to go up in height the more gallons they have and not in length. Are these okay for bettas? I know they're shallow water fish but I cant really find a shallow tank.

What would an air pump be for? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I thought they get their oxygen from the air like we do. Which reminds me of some other questions lol sorry >.<

I know bettas are jumpers and need some kind of a top but do they need hoods? Do they need hoods with lighting? Do the hoods need to have holes for oxygen? Again thank you so much. :notworthy:

#8 · (Edited)
No prob! =]

If I had the scratch I'd get the 5.0 Aqueon Bowfront! Those are soooooo stylish! <3

The 10 gallon kit at walmart is long and not tall. It's actually about the same height as the 5 gallon. It's just 4 or 5 inches longer and a 2 inches wider/deeper (distance from front to back). =]

Lol sorry! My bad. I'm not good at explaining. I meant to say that if you get a sponge filter, most of them require an air pump to operate. the air flows up the tube and out the sponge which draws water into the sponge and traps gunk like waste and food. =]

If you get a sponge filter for a betta though it's strongly advised that you get a gang valve with knobs that let you adjust airflow, as the current from a sponge filter when it doesn't have a gang valve can be too strong. =[

Yes bettas have a labyrinth organ that works in a similar way to our lungs so they do breathe from the surface. They still use their gills just not as much. =]

If you get a critter tote/ kritter keeper

The purpose of the air pump in my post though was so that the sponge filter would work; because although some sponge filters are sold with airpumps, most of the time the pump is sold separately or they expect you to already have one. =P
In truth you could actually make your own sponge filter (I have and it works well) but it probably doesn't work as well as a pre-made one.XD Then again I didn't use the complicated plkan I just stuck an airstomne connected to airtubing into an aquaclear fiter sponge for 30 gallon tanks then ploped it into my tank and voila. I had a cheap sponge filter.

A tetra whisper, pennplax small world, or Azoo palm http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9821 filter would all be great for either a critter tot/ kritter keeper. Or even for a 5.5 gallon if it didn't come with a filter. =]

Forgot to mention the palm. It getsgreat reviesw! =]

You only need to worry about this if you don't get one of the kits though. =] If you get a kit it'll come with a filter. =]

If you get the 5 gallon walmart kit then put some sponge over/in the intake. It basically gives you another stage of mechanical filtration, baffles your filter to an acceptable level, and prevents your bettas fins from being sucked up all at once. =] It's awesome. =]

Hoods are highly reccomended and even if you get a kritter keeper or critter tote it'll still have a hood on it. =]

Yes is you get a lid/hood it needs holes to let oxygen in. They don't need lighting but it certainly makes seeing the fish easier and makes the tank look nicer. Also they're required if you want to grow plants in your tank and the tank is away from the window. =]

If you get a tank without a hood/lid then just keep the water level two or three inches from the top. =]

#7 ·
Nope, they don't need hoods or lights. Many people get them because they look nice and they like to have a lit aquarium for viewing purposes or to help them grow live plants. Bettas actually prefer a dark environment, but they can adapt to a fully lit aquarium as long as you provide them with shady areas to retreat into when they want to. Incandescent lights, even small ones, can cause dangerous temperature fluctuations when you turn them on and off--make sure that the tank you're getting has a fluorescent light.

Most hoods and other lids aren't sealed onto the top of the tank, lol. There's plenty of gaps as well as ventilation to help get rid of excess heat that can be caused by the light fixtures on traditional hoods. If you're making a top yourself, you should be sure that there are gaps for airflow, though.

You should patrol your local craigslist, kijiji, and freecycle for awhile. You can get very good deals on 3-5 gallon tanks, sometimes even get it for free.

If you're looking for recommendations for tank brands, I personally prefer the Marineland Eclipse series of tanks. They come with a fluorescent light and a filter that can be easily baffled. They are acrylic, so they are light and easy to do water changes in, and they are designed to be extremely quiet. I have a couple of 3G ones and a 5G--I'm pleased with them all.

#16 ·
He's doing good thanks for asking. I got him this floating Betta log from petsmart that he seems to be enjoying. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3956162&lmdn=Fish though his little tank is a little cramped. He still has room to get to the top for air though so I figured it was okay.

The hawkeye looks really nice and is less expensive then the tetra, I'm just unsure about the filter. The hawkeye has a rapids that I think is this one http://www.petdiscounters.com/c70/c580/Rapids-Power-Filter-p7031.html. Not sure if that's a good one but I guess I can always get another filter to replace it if i don't like it.

Another question I had was about substrates. I would like to put some live plants in his future home and make his home feel as close to his natural environment as possible. I saw this substrate called eco-complete and another called floramax from caribsea http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/planted_aquar.html that is supposed to help plants grow/feed them but I'm not sure if that would be good for a Betta. Maybe some river rocks or pebble would be better?

#17 ·
I'm glad Taco's doing well! =]

D,8 Bu-bu-but! WHY wasn't that in the store?!?!?! I wish I'd seen that! I would have snatched it up!!!! </3 I think I'll spend my birthday money on it and keep the one I have now for later or something. Like when I live on my own. That tank is AMAZING! <3 And so cheap and light and adjustable filter and AUGH! </3

I have AWFUL timing! >.< Is it even sold in stores or just online?

EDIT: Btw I PM'd you my opinions. =]

Again I say you're awesome for stepping up and taking care of him! =]

#20 · (Edited)
I had the hawk eye for Twilight and it was great! the only thing is is it's acrylic and scratches easily but if your careful it fine.the florescent light is great too

ps I didn't use the filter but i use if for a different tank and it's adjustablt flow and the lowest (sorta) is completley betta safe i have mine even higher than the lowest setting for betta's. i also got mine at Wally-mart

#22 ·
GOOD for you!!!

Got mine yesterday & set it up today - I LIKE it!!! Came with an Aqua-Tech filter & had to baffle it, but other than that it's good to go!:-D

Will get pics on today or tomorrow for all to admire - LOL!!!!

As far as cleaning acrylic, get an acrylic scrubber pad - WELL worth the $$$, IMO. OR you can use a micro-fiber cloth - just do NOT use paper towel!

#23 ·
Congratulations on your new tank! I'd love to see it once it's set up. I'm excited to get mine. Can paper towel scratch acrylic? My current 1 gallon tank is acrylic and it's all scratched up but I thought it was from the gravel. For that tank what heater wattage is needed? 25? 50?

#30 ·
I know electricity will probably go up some because its more use, I just hope it's not too much more >.< lol. I just got my tank in the mail! I'm so excited to set it up and use it but I know i should cycle it >.<.

#33 ·
Good luck with cycling! =] The positive is that you can decorate the tank while cycling. =] So you can decide what looks best and stuff before you add Taco. =]

You also gave me an idea for a fish name! =] (will remain a secret until I get another Betta)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.