Betta Fish Forum banner

Ever seen a black VT Dragon scale?

7K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Setsuna 
#1 ·
#10 ·
His outboard caudal rays are way to short for a Delta. And any DT would have crisper caudal edges, as well as a rounder, fuller dorsal. T Gunn has a pointy VT dorsal. I love his wild-child long ventrals.

With those colors and impeccable scalage....what a beautiful fish.

#12 ·
So I was at both Petco and Petsmart today, and lo and behold I found a guy who looked just like that boy at Petco. It took all of my will power not to leave the store with him, since they labeled him as a HM and he would have been $14. I'm still not sure if the guy at the store was a VT or a DT, since his tail was really different.

#20 ·
That's the coolest looking betta ever!

Can someone tell me what classifies a betta as a dragon/dragonscale? I've been doing some research and I can't seem to find a straight answer. Is it referring to the color or the shape of the fins?

#21 · (Edited)
a dragon scale betta is a betta that has a full or almost full body metallic scale. Or any betta that has a full body color white and different color fins. Dragon scale bettas are mixed from wild bettas to get the metallic scales as wild betta only have the shiny metallic scales

Example

Green Dragon scale

Yellow Dragon scale

Black Dragon Scale

Red Dragon Scale

#22 ·
Wow, okay. Thank you Setsuna! I would have never been able to figure it out without you :D

That yellow dragonscale is gorgeous, probably because I LOVE gold :D and the black one is really cool too.

#24 · (Edited)
Dragon scaling is thick and provides a quality of iridescence (refractence, actually) that most Betta do not have, even iridescent ones..
There is also a unique scale distribution as shown in those photos. Thanks, Setsuna.

Purists insist that a true "dragon" has white scales only. Some include light blue. The rest are referred to as "coppers." My opinion is that any thick scale fish that has those characteristics should be called a"dragon."

I'm often wrong. ;-}

@ User,

The difference between a DeT and a VT are not a matter of votes or opinions, but quantifiable characteristics. Check the IBC website or BettySplendens.

#25 ·
(drools)

Never seen one but I WANT HIM!

#28 ·
nice fish, It makes you wonder how many people are working on Vt lines if at all since this one is imported, he is soo pretty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.