Betta Fish Forum banner

Im thinking about getting a new fish

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  xst3ph90x 
#1 ·
What is a good fish type to put withs male bettas? :shock:

#4 ·
i was always told ebttas are horrible community fish, unless kept in a biiig tank. Avoid flashy fish, such as guppies, fish that are similar to the betta such as gouramis. Best bet is to go for bottom feeders such as otos and corys. Some tetras, the less flashy ones would be ok as long as they don't nip at his fins.

#7 ·
SinCrisis said:
i was always told ebttas are horrible community fish, unless kept in a biiig tank. Avoid flashy fish, such as guppies, fish that are similar to the betta such as gouramis. Best bet is to go for bottom feeders such as otos and corys. Some tetras, the less flashy ones would be ok as long as they don't nip at his fins.
To be frank, you were told wrong. Bettas are extremely friendly fish and perfect for a community. Problems naturally occur when mixed with other members of the Gourami family.

#9 ·
By all accounts there are no hard and fast rules in regards to bettas and tankmates. Some get along well with community fish and some don't. My own expierience with bettas leads me to believe that tankmates should be chosen carefully.

#10 ·
ok just talking from experience, it all depends on your betta's character. i've tried to match my betta up several times with different fish like bottom dwellers, and black mollies. they did not take i ended up having to return the sucker fish and the molly died. so if your planning on on getting tank buddies start out with ghost shrimp. if your betta kill's them they're cheap. but make sure you take the dead shrimp out or it'll contaminate your water. good luck.

#11 ·
Clearly, tank size has a lot to do with this topic. But we can't blame Bettas. The same things can be said about Black Skirt Tetras, Serpae Tetras, Cherry Barbs, male Gourami species, and countless other fish.

This does not take away from the fact that they are good community fish. Even good community fish require proper planning.

#14 ·
SinCrisis said:
motion second...also if you dont mind me adding they do pick at fish with long finds....and fish smaller than they are also...id try for a more darker color (as in black or brown) if you try bright colors it might attack it.... or you could try dull colors as well just be sure its a big enough tank like try a 10gallon (unless the other fish grows bigger than 4inches) which then id recommend a 20gallon

#17 ·
ok...let's start from the top here:

What size tank are you intending to use?
What tankmates would YOU like in there?
Will this be a planted tank (or at least have a lot of fake plants)?
What kind of personality do you want said betta to have?

#18 ·
It really depends on the personality of the fish.

However, USUALLY male bettas will do well with other fish, but only if they are not flashy fish. I would recomment ghost shrimp. They are cheap, and if your betta kills them, it will more than likely eat them anyway. Ghost shrimp are kinda cool anyway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.