Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Fish has popeye

642 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Hi there! I am new to these forums and seeking help for my betta fish Axel. Last weekend I was out of town and had my brother watch over Axel till I got back. When I arrived Sunday morning after being gone for less than two days, I noticed something odd about Axel. His eye was bulging out!! Frantically, I searched the internet and came to the conclusion he had pop eye, though I haven't been able to find a cause.

I immediately changed his water in case of contamination of some sort. Today, I noticed a white patch is now present somewhat on and below his pop eye. If anyone has any suggestions for what I should do to help him, they would be much appreciated. I would also like to point out I saved Roxas and Axel from my friend who was going to trash them because they lived passed their three month expectancy (I got them in April). Roxas passed away due to complications from a deformed gill a few weeks ago.

I am a college student on a tight budget so please keep this in mind when making suggestions. Thanks!

#3 ·
Sorry, just tried to get a picture of him for you. Unfortunately, the poor guy is terrified of my camera. <br><br>As for the tank, I want to say its a bit more than half a gallon. I use Betta Ultimate water conditioner with water changes every 3-4 days. Also, I have Penn Plax Pro-V Decorative Aquarium Waste Adsorbing Crystals which I replace once a month. I'm not exactly sure on the water temp but my apartment stays around 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit. There are no plants, nor a filter.<br>

#4 ·
In that size container even with the ammonia absorbing crystals you need to increase your regular water changes to 100% every-other day to every 3rd day provided that you are removing uneaten food after feeding
You also need to get the water temp up to the very least 76F-Betta are tropical fish and really need a stable temp

I suspect that his problem is related to water quality and water temp-
At this point I would start by making 100% daily water changes with Epsom salt 1tsp/gal (not aquarium salt) for the next 10 days-this will help some with swelling/edema and a little on the antibacterial issue he is most likely having
I like to pre-mix my salt in a 1gal jug to make correct dosage and water change easier for leave in treatments.
You can get Epsom salt at most stores that have a pharmacy dept like walmart for less than 5 bucks and it is good for other stuff too-like a long soak in the tub....lol.....

Good luck....

#6 ·
You have been lucky and not uncommon either-the long term effect of poor water quality and cool temp stress the fish and in turn affect the immune response and the fish was no longer able to fight off the bacteria...these are tough fish and can take a lot but they do have their limits, hopefully he will pull through for you and live another couple of years-they are great wet-pets for the college student on a budget and don't ask for much........

If you can't get the Epsom salt- just do some 100% water changes daily with dechlorinated water....and a little hint on the Epsom salt if you don't have any.......ask a neighbor that gardens...most gardeners will have some on hand for their plants or an older person- we have/use it all the time for aches and pains...lol.....

#7 ·
Alright, I shall get some. As for water, I had a question.

I live in a city and do not trust the tap water so I buy gallons of filtered water at the store. I was wondering if this was alright for the fish. If so, do I still need to bother with the water conditioner?

#8 ·
The thing with bottled water is that it is not regulated and often it is just filtered tap water that still can contain chlorine/chloramine and so you would still need to use a dechlorinator...another problem is that due to the filtering process it can remove the needed mineral that the fish needs.....but you can replace that with additive or use a 50/50 mix of tap/bottled along with the dechlorinater....distilled water or R/O water should not have anything in it except that it is missing the needed minerals but they can be added back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.