Betta Fish Forum banner

Filter-less Tank Setups?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

I am soon to be getting a 3.3 Gallon Critter Keeper type tank, and I will not being using a filter because I do not have the time to cycle a tank + it sounds pretty hard. So please post your pictures of your tanks with no filter!

Matt

#2 ·
To cycle a tank, it really isnt that hard. It sounds very complicated. I'm sure if you asked around people would be more then happy to help you. Cycling the tank provides many benefits, and could help you safe water.

I wish I could give you examples or photos on non-filtered tank but I rarely do any of those unless their on medication.

#3 ·
Mattoboy, sorry no picture yet but my daughter's betta is a tank that size with a heater but no filter (her fish stresses badly with any level flow) and a handful of floating java fern leaves. We do 50% water change mid-week and 100% + gravel rinse on weekends. He's so far doing well in those conditions.

I'll try to get some pics this evening.

#4 ·
If I'm having an unfiltered/uncycled set-up, I make mine as spartan as possible so they are easier to clean.

However, if you went for a NPT set-up, it would be easy enough to only need to do small, partial water changes once or twice a week. This is how many low tech planted bowls or nano tanks are set-up, as a lot of stems and other fast-growing plants are capable of utilising a fair amount of ammonia/nitrate.

This does time to establish though, and can be a bit of a juggling act at the start.

Here is an old picture of how some of my uncycled tanks are set-up

#5 ·
I saw this thread and thought I'd post a pic. Hopefully, you can tell by the tank decor and the room these pics were taken in that THIS IS NOT MY ROOM OR TANK lol (I'm a dude, just so you know). This is my step-sister's betta, Mystery. She's a female veiltail, and her tank is aerated, but not filtered. It looks a tiny bit dirty, but we're doing a water change today. Here are the pics.

In the second one, she's not sick or anything. Sometimes Mystery likes to hang out in the gravel.

I took these with my MacBook, so they're not great quality, but I hope it's good. I tried to fix it so that it wasn't mirrored, but it didn't work (I seriously need a real camera). :roll:

Attachments

#6 ·
Thank you all <3

@ Edifiler: I will probably cycle a tank in the summer when I have time

@ Aus: With my old setup, I did exactly the same thing; 50% and 100% changes every week

LittleBettaFish: Nice setup!

GuppyBetta: Looks nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.