Betta Fish Forum banner

New owner Sad beginning

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
After listening to the pleadings of my grandson, we went to the local PetSmart and bought his first fish - a beautiful red betta. On the recommendations of the store employee we got a 2 gal tank, a live plane, water conditioner and food. We were assured this was all we needed and the fish would do fine. Well... at first he swam around in his new home but within a couple of hours he became very still. This morning he was at the bottom of the tank, dead. My grandson is broken hearted.:cry:

After locating this board and doing some reading, I get the feeling the folks at the store haven't a clue. We are going back today to get a new fish, a heater and water test kit. Hopefully we can be better owners this time. How long do we let the tank sit before putting the new fish in? Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, GranniO. I'm sorry that your grandson (and you!) were mislead from the LFS people. They mean well but sometimes simply don't know any better.
I've never kept a tank smaller than a 6gl so other more experienced betta keepers will need to offer their advice on keeping bettas in anything smaller than a 6gl. I'm of the mindframe that no fish should be kept in anything smaller than a 5gl. You already have the 2gl so that's what you'll be working with. I'd think in a container that small water changes of every other day would be required in order to keep the fish healthy. If you take the 2gl tank back and exchange it for a 5gl I can offer plenty of advice :)

#3 ·
Sorry to hear about your loss!!! You never know how exciting the little guys (and gals) can be until you own one! Just keep reading around on here for proper care and upkeep, I just started on Tuesday and already have learned so much. There are some really wise individuals in this forum.

Make sure when you get your fish acclimate him to the water so he doesn't go into shock. I watched my cousins perform "shock"-tactics to several of their fish because they were so eager to get them into the tank. Usually doesn't turn out too pretty.

Best wishes and Good luck on your new addition!!!

#4 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum. The water in a 2 gallon needs to be changes once a week. I have no idea why your betta died so soon. It could be that it was sick when you bought it. Good luck with the new one and don't hesitate to ask questions if you need help with anything. :)

#6 ·
Hi GranniO,

Welcome to the forum :-D

I`m very sorry to hear about your Betta, it`s sad when that happens and it can be very difficult understanding why it does happen.

I`m relatively new to looking after Bettas but now have 3 after realising what great fish they are.

When I got my first Betta he went into the 37G tank with a few of the other community fish I have so I too was a bit unsure about letting the water `sit`.

I set my 13G up with the water conditioner, decorations, plants, heater and filter etc and left it for about 1-1 and a half hours to allow the water to get to approx temp required for a Betta. You may find that your Betta will hide and appear to be a bit depressed within the first couple of days and also that he may not seem to be interested in food at all. It`s easy for me to say now but please don`t worry if you do experience this as it`s quite common and your new fella will settle and get used to his surroundings.

Hope all goes well with your next Betta, don`t hesitate to come back and let us know how you`re getting on?

Lise x

#7 ·
I am sorry to hear about your Betta! I am sure it had nothing to do with what you provided. He was probably sick when you bought him!
When buying a Betta look for active movement, both gills moving when breathing and a aggresive attitudes towards the other Bettas! This are what Bettas are all about.
The 2 gallon that you purchased is just fine for a first home. But make sure it isnt crowded.....9to much plants+decor)
What type of condti. did you use??
And what food did you purchase??
If you are getting a new Betta today, please clean your 2 gallon out properly....along wiht plants and decor....
I hope this info helps you with your new Betta! And Welcome to the Forum!!! :]

#8 ·
Update

Well, things are looking up. We bought a new fellow yesterday (no name yet) and after carefully setting up the tank again he seems to be settling in nicely. Already, he is swimming over to the side when someone comes close and will follow movement. He's a nosey little guy! Have even seen him flair somewhat. Hopefully he will continue to do well. I do think maybe the first one was sick when we bought him. We will continue to read and learn from this board. Thanks for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.