Betta Fish Forum banner

Fins looks shredded, I don't know what happened!!

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Hankbetta 
#1 ·
So I've had Hank since Friday, he got to go into the tank Saturday. I introduced a new Platy into the tank today, wasn't able to be home to watch and see how it went. I came home to find Hanks fins looking like they've been shredded and he just staying in hiding. I thought maybe the new Platy did it so I removed him from the tank and it's just Hank and the Molly now, whom he seems fine with. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to help?! :(

In the attached pictures, the first one is the before, the other three are the after.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It might be like what Synthisis is going through with the exploding tail. Do you have a filter? He may have gotten against the intake tube like mine did.

#3 ·
Yeah, I was starting to think that that's what had happened since mine likes to wrap around the heat stick, which I have right by the intake tube. So I went and put the pantyhose on it. I'm just not sure what to do from here, I don't want him to get sick and die. I've never really had fish like this before.

#4 ·
I'd do salt baths a few times a day (no more than 5). I actually had to put Flair in the hospital tank when I left for my trip so he would begin healing. He is having fin regrowth now. But I been adding extra salt to his water and he's healing well. Oh and I put panty hose on the intake tube also.

#6 ·
I would just watch him for a day or two and keep the water extra clean. If it really is damage done by the platy or the intake tube (which is very likely since the onset was extremely quick) then there is no reason why it shouldn't heal on it's own. You can add a half dose of aquarium salt as a preventative, but beyond that I wouldn't do anything else. You can find aquarium salt in any fish store. In my experience, feeding extra frozen foods in place of his normal foods for a few extra feedings will help him heal faster. It just seems to give them more nutrition which they need to regenerate fins.

I always put some nylon over the filter intake just to be safe, so that is always a good idea.

#7 ·
Well this morning he's down just sitting at the bottom of the tank and he has a white splotch on his back and on his fins, so I'm guessing it's necessary to do something from here. But I really have no idea what to do. He didn't have white splotches on his body at all last night, his fins were a little white though.

#13 ·
I am sorry to hear about Hank. At least you kept him comfortable on his last few days. RIP Hank.

#14 ·
Yeah. I had no idea fish could be really sick and just not show it before you got them, and then an injury like that just speeds up the process. He was pretty friendly for a Betta too. I ended up getting a new one from a fish specialty store instead of petsmart, he seems to be really healthy, but not friendly to other fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.