Betta Fish Forum banner

Tail biting clueless!

887 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BettaxFishxCrazy 
#1 ·
I'm a little concerned about Kristoph and his tail. His a beautiful halfmoon betta boy. I got him November 09 and in December 09 I got Jasper my cutie of a crown tail. They moved in together sharing a 10 gal. All was well until New Years. I was out of town for two days, my Dad fed them twice a day. He loves them. :)
Any ways I came home and Kristoph ate 75-80% of his tail and all the white banding on his other fins! The only thing that changed in their tanks is I got a new divider for Christmas, it was clear so my boys could see each other. Its now three months later and he has 30-35% of his tail back, and a little peep of white on his other fins.

Things I have tried...
1. Added some sea salt. 1/4 tea spoon per 2 gallons every third water change. I change the water once a week, 2 gallons.

2. I added caves to both sides of the tank thinking Kristoph needed more hiding space.

3. I got a better filter, I was using a mini elite because with weekly water changes I thought it'd be okay... Well I changed to a tetra whisper 2-10i.

4. He now lives with Coral a Vail tail Female, in a divided 10 gal... I thought a female would pep him up...

I'm still adding the salt I just don't know why he decided his tail is/was tasty. Could it be the current from the filter is too strong? Its only at the top of the tank... If I move it to Coral's side I'm afraid it will keep her from reaching the surface. So confused!
Before in his DIY divided 10 gal.

I want to say Feb 10 still living with Jasper...

I'll get a good photo of him and his new home tomorrow, his a sleep now. :angel:

See less See more
#2 ·
Ugh, his tail was so beautiful! Has he ever been in a tank by himself? Some like the company of others and some would rather be by themselves. In the wild, they prefer to be on their own until it's time to mate. He could be aggravated that he can see another fish and he can't get to it. Does he flare a lot?

#3 ·
He use to live in a 1 gal glass bowl... And his not big on flaring any more. I would catch Kistoph having flaring 'wars' with Jasper... But with Coral, I've yet to see him flare.

He likes to swim around the filter, rest in his cave and when Coral is near the divider he swims up to it and rests on his plants. Its really cute, I should get a photo of it.

#4 ·
Tailbiting is definitely one of the worse things for a betta owner. Probably one of the harder things to cure. I have one too, similar situation. Saw his neighbor betta, went berserk, tailbit for about 6-8 days. After that, he dealt with it and just stopped. The best thing I would do is change the divider again, the previous one seemed to work well~

#6 ·
I'm setting up a sorority so I think I will put Kristoph in the 10gal on my desk. I use to sit and watch him for hours... Now when I'm doing homework again, I can watch him. lol

So that way I can use the 10gal thats on the stand and only get four more gals. Coral and Scarlet will be going into the sorority.

#7 ·
So I put Kristoph in his new home today. So far so good, his exploring and seems fascinated by the glass gems I used. I think this will solve his tasty tail problem.

His poor fins... if you look at his first photo I posted, he had a white band on all his fins. On this one you can see that he went to town on every white area. :-( Though its not very noticeable but I'm starting to see peeps of white on his bottom fin.

Here is his new home. THE GEODE IS BEHIND THE TANK. Just wanted to state that because yes it is big enough for him to swim in,however the crystals would shred him, I know this... (I dug and cracked this bad boy myself. ;-) My first passion is geology. ) Any whom, this is my desk. :roll: Nothing fancy, but I like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.