Betta Fish Forum banner

My betta and his 5 gal.

888 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  sjones 
#1 ·
So now that my tanks done cycling I added my first Betta a couple days ago. His names Hercules :) He's still getting used to the new environment but is getting more and more friendly each day. The plants are an Amazon Sword, Melon Sword, and a little Duckweed floating at the top. Tanks kept at a consistent 80 degrees and since he's under a window I'm just using natural light for him. I did the filter mod to help cut down on the current and bought him a little leaf to float on :) Over all I'm very happy with him and his tank and he seems to be too. If anyone has any suggestions for the tank feel free say them.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can see you in the tank's reflection xD And I like the tank's colors. The only thing I might recommend is a plant with larger leaves for him to lay on, but I think the leaf hammock would serve the same purpose. And hercules is adorable :)

#3 ·
Very pretty. I suggest putting the leaf hammock far enough up so that if he laid on it, his back would almost touch the surface. Mine won't use theirs unless I have it positioned that way.

#14 ·
I would put a hiding place with a little more privacy. Lots of bettas like to be completly out of sight sometimes.
I agree with this. Based on the suggestion of a few posters I purchased one of those floating betta logs. Months prior I thought these were primarily marketing gimmicks. Have to say I was wrong.

Without the need to coax him into the log by adding food from the open top my guy hides and relaxes in here quite a bit.

#7 ·
I love your tank look, it's so simple and beautiful! :) :) Hercules in his plant is adorable <3 I also love the black gravel, it really makes the green and red colors pop out! :)

I had a piece of screen like that as a tank cover and it soon started unraveling and poking me in the hand :( So I ended up trimming/covering the edges of the screen with a layer of duct tape, and it worked much better! :) I think you could use black electrical tape to match the trim of your tank. Electrical tape would at least look nicer than duct tape :)

I also used tiny pieces of poster putty to hold the screen in place! It worked really well! :)

#10 ·
I love your tank look, it's so simple and beautiful! :) :) Hercules in his plant is adorable <3 I also love the black gravel, it really makes the green and red colors pop out! :)

I had a piece of screen like that as a tank cover and it soon started unraveling and poking me in the hand :( So I ended up trimming/covering the edges of the screen with a layer of duct tape, and it worked much better! :) I think you could use black electrical tape to match the trim of your tank. Electrical tape would at least look nicer than duct tape :)

I also used tiny pieces of poster putty to hold the screen in place! It worked really well! :)
Thank you very much for the compliments! And those are great ideas I will definitely be doing them tomorrow.

A great hiding piece you can use if you dont like the un natural look (I dont either) is a piece of drift wood! I have a piece in my 10gal and I love it!
I actually have a piece in my 10g too with my tropical fish but didn't even think about that for this one haha. Thanks.

It's a nice setup but be careful about the window, it might cause algae to the tank and/or the water to turn murky/slimey. But otherwise nice :) good luck !
Thank you! I did think about that when I placed it under the window but I figured since they come to the surface to breath and I have duckweed I'd give it a chance. Plus natural lights probably better than light bulbs that try to mimic it. I do have a lid I can put on it to block out some light just in case though.

#13 ·
I think its awesome!

AND OMG. I had my laptop's screen tilted in a derp way and the image colors were skewed...and I got the picture where you can see your reflection...

It scared the crappolah out of me! o0o You looked like a negative image of yourself and were the easiest thing to see in the picture X'D!!

#15 ·
I think it looks awesome. Great job! Only thing I can think of is putting something over the filter intake so his fins don't get sucked in and shredded, I just use a piece cut from a pair of nylons for this. It gets gunky and inhibits intake so I rinse it out every week or so. I have heard the betta hammock leaf thing has a piece of metal wire in it that can be or become exposed. Metal can harm your fish so you could coat it with aquarium sealant to prevent this. This is one of the nicest set ups I have seen, I love the natural look. I have been going to plantedtank.net for help with my plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.