Betta Fish Forum banner

Should I try a smaller tank?

591 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
Hiya

I adopted a new halfmoon today, after nearly drooling all over the petshop floor at him yesterday. I've put him into my 5 gallon tank, recently empty after the death of my lovely Apollo. :cry:

I have left the light off and have stained the water with IAL extract to make him more comfortable, but he still seems very nervous. The tank is really densely decorated, so I didn't think he'd find the space overwhelming (Apollo didn't, and he was kept in the same size container as my halfmoon was prior to going into this tank - a little over a litre). If he is still in total hiding in the morning, should I try him in a smaller tank? I have a 15 litre heated tank up and running (no filter, though), and a 14 litre tank currently empty, but I could easily heat it.
How long should I give him before I try a smaller tank? I'm worried the switch could just stress him out more.

Thanks for any advice. :)
Bomba

#3 ·
My Spidey went from a 1g tank at his breeders (or smaller) to a 2.65g tank here. He lost his mind, totally fearful of everything. After 3 weeks, I just put him into a divided 10g tank, everything is darker though. He's happy and at the glass looking for attention and eating finally. What would you say about Spidey? hahaha I'd give your little dood some time to adjust, I am sure he will love his 5g once he see's its not a scary place and you brings food :) Congrats on convincing your Mom!

#4 ·
Just be careful putting him in something so large so quickly. He might have trouble with those heavy fins because he won't have the strength to carry them. It would be horrible if he turned to tail biting. :(

Otherwise, I agree that he needs at least a couple of days, a week if he seems to be in good health. He should come around.

#5 ·
For a fish with heavy fins, he doesn't seem to know it! :p He's a good swimmer, he just keeps to the back a lot. There's plenty of lovely flat leaves for him to rest on if he needs it, though, and you couldn't ask for a more gentle filter. :)
He swam in the open centre space a couple of times today, and I think he ate breakfast (it took him about ten minutes if he did - I didn't see it because I was dealing with the rest of the menagerie). I think this was probably just me being a panicky new mum (as usual)! I'll definitely keep an eye on him. :)

#6 ·
Update: he's settling in nicely, eating well, obviously not scared of all the big nasty space anymore. He's less scared of people watching him, either, which is good, because I can't take my eyes off him. He got pretty close to eating off my finger yesterday, so hopefully I can start training him over the summer. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.