Betta Fish Forum banner

Rust?

586 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
How dangerous is it?
I had one of those spongebob pineapple house decorations and at the top, it had a small piece of what I thought was plastic sticking out where it wasn't supposed to, but I just thought it was a defect in the way it was made... Then I noticed some strange brown growth on the decoration, so I took it out, scrubbed it off and noticed that there was more brown stuff at the base of that "plastic thing" sticking out.

I tried to break it off to clean under it and it wasn't what I thought it was... It was a small metal wire that was covered in paint so I couldn't tell it was metal. Needless to say, the decoration has been removed... But it was in there for like a month and a half.

What harm does rust cause?

#2 ·
I have a "cactus" ornament as well, that someone used for an aquarium when it is technically meant for reptiles... I wouldn't trust it. Not sure exactly what it does... But I know that many people recommend removing any metal from dollar store style plants (or ones actually handmade from the dollarstore) and the base of the betta hammock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.