Betta Fish Forum banner

Setting up a new NPT

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  ao 
#1 ·
Finally I set up the new NPT
Took me 1.5 hours, which wasnt bad at all!
meet my new 2g NPT
It isssss supposed to be 3gallons... but with all that substrate... I've decided it's now a 2 gallon. lol!

This NPT is intended for my shrimpies and the H formosas. No bettas D: cos they'll eat everything!

I'm not sure if I need more plants in here, Some expert please point me in the right direction....

See less See more
#5 ·
I was thinking it was gonna be some type of sterlite container lol. I guess critter keepers could actually work really good for a low tech tank. I want to get a 7.5 gallon Mr. Aqua tank, that's rimless, but there is so much I want lol.

#7 ·
XD my Jar isn't an NPT, but I'm pretty sure its a sustainable system, since I've never done anywater changes in it >.> it was way too much trouble, because of the Jar height. Then I noticed that whatever I threw in there would grow like mad. Then in went shrimps who are happy. then fish >.>

#13 ·
Oh btw, I forgot to mention. if you are using just sand...
What I did was to throw. couple of snails in there and waited about a month for the aquarium to mature a bit, before slowly stocking.
The majority of my Jar is populated by plants that do fine floating, mostly susswassertang and various mosses. The top is covered by floaters. There's a lucky bamboo in there to account for unused nutrition in the substrate. The Jar also sustains a good humidity for the bamboo to grow....
I did this all without testing the water....

Now the tank is overrun with pond snails XD
I'm trying to be extra careful not to introduce it to my other tanks!

#10 · (Edited)
Nice :D

Whats the tube for?

I wonder if I could do a NPT with a kritter keeper and keep it by a window for light. I don't get alot of natural light in here though. And I don't trust demon kitty...

#14 ·
It's beautiful aokashi! I love looking at your planted tanks, they always look amazing. I would love to set a small-scale NPT up!

I hope it does amazingly for you.

#19 ·
I was thinking it was gonna be some type of sterlite container lol. I guess critter keepers could actually work really good for a low tech tank. I want to get a 7.5 gallon Mr. Aqua tank, that's rimless, but there is so much I want lol.
Ooh, I bought this tank and just set it up a couple days ago! It was on backorder forever! I am waiting for my big batch of plants to come in the mail next week so I can get them started! I have the Mr. Aqua 13.3-gallon bowfront tank too, but I actually lost it! We moved last month, and I cannot find that sucker anywhere! Grrr But I love the Mr. Aqua tanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.