Betta Fish Forum banner

Good Betta Home?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jeaninel 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. So after some thinking about the setup up for my nano planted tank I wanna start, I decided to go with a betta instead of my other option, guppys.

The main reason I decided to go with a betta is that I wanted a fish with some "personality" so to speak.

Here's my setup:

• 2.5/3 or 5 gallon tank
  • Red Sea Deco Filter (preferred, cheaper :-D) / Azoo Palm Filter
  • Sand for substrate
  • 1 Anacharis or 1 wisteria
  • 1 Anubias Nana
  • Misc (smooth) Rocks
  • Screw In 10/20W Fluorescent Bulb in a desk lamp
  • Mini-heater when winter comes, average temp of main tank with heater off is 79-80
This seem like a pretty good setup to stat with for a betta? I don't see why it wouldn't be. And I will set the filter to the lowest it can for the betta. Over time I may add a few more plants to the tank, as this is a project of mine. :) Perhaps some dwarf hairgrass.

My biggest question is probably about the substrate, will sand be ok with a betta? Never kept sand before, and never had a betta before.

Thanks!! I'm hoping to get the tank an some plants by tonight :)

See less See more
#2 ·
i would go with a 5 gallon tank, also get something for your betta to hide in, they like hiding places :)

#3 ·
I have my Betta on sand and he's fine with it. I don't think the fish really cares. But I do find since my Betta tends to let some food fall to the bottom it's easier to clean because you can see the poo/food sitting on top of the sand. One thing though, make sure your filter intake is not too close to the bottom or it may suck up some sand and may damage the impeller. As long as it's a couple inches above the sand you should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.