Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #1571 
Sadist

Oh, I'm so sorry I forgot that. They're U.S. based. I think the amazon company I ordered from overseas to you, too. Good luck!
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:19 AM   #1572 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

I think I should probably put my location back under my display photo as most of the members on here seem to come from the US/Canada and probably assume I am likewise.

I don't know why I decide to start big projects in my fish room during such hot weather. My fish room is sitting at 32 degrees Celsius, and by the time I'd finished draining tanks, moving tanks, and lugging buckets back and forth, I felt like I was working in a sauna.

I went to the fish store today and picked up three hollowed out logs. According to the employee there, this wood (I'm not 100% certain what it is) will release loads of tannins, which is exactly what I am looking for.

This is what my main rack looks like now.

I've torn down my Betta livida tank, and set-up two tanks on the bottom shelf. One is for the breeding pair of Betta livida and the other is for the rest of the group.

The fish store I visited had no java moss in stock. However, I was able to salvage a surprising amount from my tank once I'd blasted all the algae and detritus off with the garden hose. So the only tank that needs java moss now, is my F1 Betta coccina tank, and I'm going to steal some from my F0 Betta coccina tank as I know it is disease free.

The tank with all the moss is for the breeding pair. I've still got to add duckweed and mayaca fluviatilis to provide some surface cover, but otherwise they will be going in tomorrow. I just wanted the pH and temperature to stabilise so I didn't cause them any extra stress. Especially since the female decided to jump out of her temporary holding tank and scare the crap out of me.

My next big 'project' will be moving my Betta persephone tank to my sideboard, moving my two Betta sp. api api tanks down onto the bottom shelf, and then dismantling the top shelf. That's going to be done very slowly and with utmost care because I don't want my Betta sp. api api groups getting stressed, especially the young fry.

I also eventually (in another couple of weeks) want to set-up a tank for a pair of F1 Betta sp. api api. There's a couple of very nice females and males and it's about time they did something more than just stuff their faces.

After getting everything done, I took a few quick snaps before collapsing in a sweaty heap.

Betta brownorum juvenile.

F1 Betta uberis.

I'm annoyed this photo turned out so blurry. But it's of one of my F1 Betta uberis males challenging his father (at front).

Before realising just how big and mean his father is, and beating a hasty retreat. Run away! Run away!

A young male just starting to colour up.

Maverick being his usual affectionate self. It was water change day yesterday, and I added some IAL to their tanks, so both boys were feeling particularly feisty.

They are now engrossed in a bubblenest building competition because I have them uncarded.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #1573 
Sadist

I love the uberis coloring.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #1574 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

I agree Sadist, the Betta uberis are spectacular. They are also the most photogenic fish in my fish room, likely because of the number of males, so there's always something going on.

The latest point of contention has been over the IAL I put in the other day.

Even the matriarch of the tank was putting her claim in.

I think most people look into my tanks and see a group of fish that look exactly the same. However, because I spend so much time with my fish I am able to recognise individuals as a result of the small variations in appearance.

These are just a few of my young males to illustrate what I mean.

Same male as above.

Frustratingly, the water in my new Betta livida tanks turned extremely cloudy overnight. I've done 50% water changes on both tanks and hopefully by tomorrow morning the fish can go in.

I'm hoping that once my breeding pair of Betta livida settle in, I will be able to get some cracker photos of them displaying and spawning without the other fish interfering. I've even made sure that the two likely nest sites are facing the front of the tank.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #1575 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

I moved my Betta livida group into their new tanks today. This marks the beginning of my 'Betta livida Breeding Project'. The plan is to ultimately produce between 50-100 young fish. To maximise survival rates, I will be using a grow-out tank. I need to have a larger pool of females to draw on, and I'm hoping that even with my heavily male skewed spawns, there will be at least a handful of females amongst those 50-100 fish.

My unrelated male will likely be used as an outcross for these F1 females, and I may even cross him with the F0 female, and then pair up these offspring with their half-siblings to avoid excessive inbreeding.

Of course all of this depends on whether or not I can get my breeding pair routinely spawning. So I've definitely got my fingers crossed.

Apart from that, I just took a few shots of some of my wilds.

First up is my Betta brownorum female.

Next up is some of my young Betta sp. api api. These fish are exasperatingly difficult to get a good photo of. Just as you get the perfect photo lined up, some other fish comes along and ruins it.

This is one of my youngest Betta sp. api api fry.

One of my young males in with the F1 group.

An older full sibling to the fry in the first photo.

This photo is my favourite. This juvenile is also a full sibling to the first fry and the one pictured above. I was using my finger as a lure.

My next project is definitely setting up a breeding tank for a pair of F1 Betta sp. api api. I have a tank, heater, sponge filter, and substrate. Once again, it's just the live plants that I need.

I'm contemplating putting a small amount of java moss in a tub outside and letting it grow. This way if I need some, I'm not having to take it from my tank. I'm just not sure how fast it would grow.

I think I've given up on keeping any further Australian natives other than my P. gertrudae. I don't have the space and money to keep both these and my wilds, and I want to see what effect the new import laws have on the importation of wild bettas in this country before I blithely sell off half my collection.

It will be a tragedy if these new laws prevent the import of wild bettas into this country.

The immediate result will be that I likely lose Betta persephone, Betta miniopinna, and Betta hendra from my fish room. I will also never have the chance to reacquire Betta rutilans, burdigala, tussyae, and sp. wajok.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:46 AM   #1576 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

Well I'm feeling rather foolish.

I could never work out how to switch to manual focus when using the macro lens to take photos of my fish. I probably should have just read the instruction manual, but I didn't know where it was.

Turns out that all you have to do is pull the lens forward slightly and it goes into manual mode. This made taking photos of my spotted blue eyes so MUCH easier. I still need to practice more with using this mode, but I bribed the group out with some white worms and took a few half-decent shots.

I think my chances of getting an in focus photo of one or more of my males sparring/displaying are much better now I can just follow the fish around without the camera randomly zooming in and out.

I think this male was taunting me.

Two females. I think that's my big female on the right.

I really, really like this photo.

Didn't like this photo as much.

Of course all my males come out and immediately start sparring as soon as I put the camera away.

Meanwhile the three spotted blue eyes fry I had growing out in a separate tank are still alive and seemingly doing well if their size is any indication. One is definitely large enough to go into the main tank without threat of predation but the others are still a little small. I'm not sure if the fourth fry I put into the tank is still around or if there were any other fry that hatched out, but I may have to upgrade to a 15 gallon tank if the group keeps expanding as there are probably close to 20 fish in the 10 gallon.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:25 AM   #1577 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

Well my breeding pair of Betta livida have shown zero interest in each other. However, my young, one-eyed male and his one-eyed sister were flirting up a storm this morning. He was beautifully coloured and strutting his stuff, and she was barred up and doing a seductive wriggle.

My young male then got himself so worked up, he decided to take on the adult male in the tank. Who is about triple the size of him. I think my adult male was just so confused about why this shrimp of a fish was attacking him, he thought retreating was the safest option!

I've also been doing some more practising with the manual focus on the macro lens. I think I'm getting better. I came SO close a few times to catching my spotted blue eye males with their fins fully erect.

My first shot was probably my worst.

A close-up of one of my females.

Another close-up of a female.

This would have been a good photo if the female hadn't been in it.

Finally caught one of my males up close.

One of the males watching over his harem.

This photo would have been good if at least one of the males had been in focus!!!

I find it very calming to watch this tank. There's always something going on, and I don't have to worry that it's going to end in WW3.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #1578 
Sadist

Wow, they're gorgeous! I may have to give them a try some day.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #1579 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

They're a great little fish. Their only downside is that they are fairly short-lived. I think they only live a couple of years.

There are a number of different varieties available, with slight variations in appearance between them.

I find they just seem to have a bit more individual personality than other shoaling species of fish.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #1580 
Aqua Aurora

I'd read recently that spotted blue eyes only last about 18 months when they breed prolifically. Not sure how long they live if they're aren't actively breeding all the time.
I love mine, moved them to my husband's 12g long cherry shrimp tank recently (the are as big as the adult female shrimp!) they don't bother the shrimp but they do investigate what they're eating. Lovely fish, cute faces, they get pretty bold and are smart (know ques for feeding time-probably the fastest fish to learn those ques yet). If you get them GET A LID (or least a dense mass of floaters-they will love that), they can jump. I've only had one jumped (spooked a male when lights were off and i put my hand in the tank.. he was a pain to catch on the desk to put back but he survived just fine).
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote