Betta Fish Forum banner

Jarring??

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Does 'jarring' work by limiting the fish or does it work by isolation?

#4 ·
I'm in the US and most of us call it jarring haha. But ya it's a breeder term.

#7 ·
no, growth rate is based on the capacity of the environment to retard growth and the rate of feeding.

In cup, out of cup, whatever doesn't make a difference with the exception that a tank of dead males with one over-stuffed dying victorious bull male if you wait too long.

The whole "the fish will grow to the tank size" is BS. Pure BS.

The fish will grow until whatever limitations the tank's cleanliness and maintenance stop it. Simply that at some point the health of a given fish will be impacted by its own waste and the aeration to the extent that it no longer grows. I'd be willing to bet, with a sponsor, that I could grow a Jack Dempsey to its maximum size in a 15R if I have sufficient filtration, aeration, feeding and enough flow for him to get exercise. If you just stuck a Jack in a 15R with a regular 15 gallon filter on it, he'd toxify long before he was too big to swim around.

If you think of the point where the girls grow their ovipositors and the boys start growing the male fins as puberty, you'll understand why the cupping occurs right before fin growth diverges.

#8 ·
I read that a fish secretes something that acts as a growth inhibiter. One fish secreting is isn't enough to do anything... however a tank of fish will secrete enough to slow down growth. For optimum growth you should do 25-50% water changes daily after the first 2 weeks.

Thats what I have read at least... I don't know if its true... but it has worldwide results so I can only assume it is. (or at least water changes = bigger fish, dunno about the secretions.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.