Betta Fish Forum banner

Jarring Fry

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  indjo 
#1 ·
I'm sure this is probably answered somewhere, but i dont know where lol.

Anyways a couple questions,
1) when do you guys (in your experience) jar your fry at approx what age?
2) once you do jar them, how do they adjust from heated, filtered water to room temp water??? it will be a huge difference for my house in particular....my room is about 60-80 degrees, flucates depedning on the weather which has been so up and down lately! and my washroom is a little bit warmer than my room......
3) is every other day water changes ok for less than 1/2 a gallon, probably about a 1/3 of a gallon??

My fry are 2 days away from 7 weeks old and are already showing aggression (chasing, nipping esp at smaller fry) should I let them be or seperate? they are still pretty small and have minor colour on them....

Thanks!!!!

#2 ·
1. Depends if the fins are important or not. If they were, I jar before they get aggressive - between 2-3 months. But most often I jar when they become aggressive, usually after 4 months.

2. My tanks are not heated, but I do float them in the fry tank just to get them used to smaller containers. This can also work to acclimate from heated and filtered tanks.

3. Yes but it's safer to do daily specially If you over feed like me or use pellets and or wormy foods.

If they're hurting other fry, jar them. The smaller fry may become stressed and die so it's better safe than sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.