Betta Fish Forum banner

Omg, not again!!!!

921 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  VJM 
#1 ·
I know how some people feel about what I just did, but oh well.....I'm happy. I went to WalMart......betta section, and rescued a poor sad looking little betta. I suspect it's a female, but not sure, since he/she is less than an inch long! Dark red color, cute little face, and stress stripes. (yikes!) I put her in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater and some anacharis, with a few marbles on the bottom. It's a "plain Jane" tank, but she's better off in it. She's so tiny, this little tank seems huge for him/her! I wish I could've saved the entire 5 or 6 they had left, but alas, I've reached my limit. I have one more arriving mid-week from California, for a total of eight bettas!! plus several guppy/endler tanks too. Good thing I love doing water changes. Ready for the BEST NEWS????? (drumroll.....) THE WALMART IN MY AREA IS ABOUT TO STOP SELLING FISH!!!!! YAY! The lady working in the fish department and I had a chat, and she said she was glad they would not be selling fish anymore. That the other employees did not care for them properly, and she felt terrible for the poor little creatures. I am SO GLAD I won't have to go in there and feel guilty for not rescuing them all anymore!

#2 ·
My local Walmart doesn't have a fish 'section' with a sink or aquariums with other types of fish. Just an aisle with supplies/containers for various animals. Unfortunately the only pets they sell are the poor bettas. Good for you for trying to save a life though! I've never seen a tiny one for sale at WM - just the adult ones.

Last night I went in and they had a ton - probably at least 25 cups sitting on the shelves. It was a mixture of male CT and VT and none of them looked well. One CT was in water that was brown, another had about enough water to cover it's head and that's it. It looked like someone had tried to be nice and opened some nearby pellets and put them in the cups. Unfortunately they put way too many in so the water in many of the cups was tainted with the excess food. If there had been a sink, I would have started changing the water myself (which I've actually done at Petco).

I would go in and change the water and care for the bettas in WM and Petco for free just so the little guys didn't have to suffer. Like you, I always want to bring them all home. Unfortunately I've already got 10 - I just don't have space for more.

#3 ·
Our Walmarts near us don't have a fish section anymore either. The Walmarts near my father in Illinois still has fish sections though, and they always look so miserable. I wish they would close that one too. Only true pet stores should sell pets. It's not fair to the fish. I wouldn't mind our Walmart having a fish section if the employees actually care about the fish and take care of them, but that's rarely happened. :( Even our Petsmart takes poor care of the fish.

#4 ·
We have a store called PetSense near us, where I got a couple of my bettas. They are kept clean, but not optimally. The ones I got ended up having fin rot, which I treated. Now they have the longest, most beautiful veil tails ever! But PetSense keeps bettas healthier than WalMart EVER did....

#7 ·
I went to one last week, and they were all in such terrible condition. I think they were also mislabeled, because one they labeled as female looked like a short-finned male. He was also the worst off, and had some kind of fungal infection. :(

#8 ·
They had my baby labelled as a male crowntail. I see rays in the tail that may indicate her being a crowntail, but she's too young to know HOW she's going to turn out yet. They had a GORGEOUS veiltail male, who was red and white too. I WISH I could've saved them all, but I have gone beyond my limit as it is!!! Electrical outlets are sparse in our house, too....

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah. It was terrible too, because I heard a kid trying to convince her mom to get her one, and the mom said no because they'd have to get it a bigger tank. "Nuh-uh, they can stay in these jars!!!" I cringed the more the girl begged, and hoped that the mom would say no in the end....and she did! A lucky dodge, but the fact that the subject is probably still languishing in that cup is of little comfort.....I guess in cases like that, nobody wins.

#13 ·
The Walmart where I live actually keep most of their fish pretty clean and nicely cared for. Surprising, because as a child I remember them always being horrible. Also, our Petsmart is new and takes EXCELLENT care of their fish, even their bettas. They actually know what they are doing, the only bad thing is the cups and lack of heater as far as I can tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.