Betta Fish Forum banner

My Betta has ragged fins.

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Critter 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently aquired a Betta fish that used to be my friends. She had to move overseas and couldn't take him with her so she gave him to me to look after. I notice that compared to photos I have seen of Betta fish the one I have has really ragged looking fins. I think it may have been sick while my friend had it and that's why it's fins look like that, and not long and flowing like others I have seen. Is it possible for Bettas fins to repair themselves and grow back or will it have these fins for the rest of it's life now?

Here is a photo I took of him as an example to show you. Sorry the qaulity is so bad, I took it on my phone.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yea its hard to tell but he looks like a CT ... OFL said to help growth though, feed a higher protein diet & of course, maintain pristine water. :)

#5 ·
Thank you heaps for the answers! I joined this forum becuase I obviously know nothing about Betta fish myself but I want to do my best to look after this guy in the right way. I think he is beautiful myself, but I just noticed his fins looked different to photos I had seen so I wanted to check. Thanks again.

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum, Critter. You'll learn a LOT here. He's quite pretty. He's called a crowntail because his fins look like the spikes on a crown - I have one myself. Do you have a name for him?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.