Betta Fish Forum banner

So lame and So frustrated -.-

2K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  FishyFishy89 
#1 ·
To narrow.it down shortly.

Went to petsmart got a light. brought it home(after I made sure it fit). Put it in the fixture.plugged it in and WA-LAAA! .....it doesn't work. AT ALL.

So this means I need to get a new fixture all together...

But on a good note I got some root tabs for my amazon sword and a peacock fern :3

Im most likely going back this weekend and I just got a $5 off coupon from Martha Stewart!
When I do go back I'm getting the fixture, possibly the master test kit (why so expensiiive >.<)
AMD I really REALLY want a moss ball! They are so cute!
And I bought a friend of mine a nerite or a zebra snail, not sure which, for bringing me C:

P.S
I was thinking it might be the starter but it doesn't have one!

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you certain it is the fixture and not the bulb?
Also if you got one of the TopFin kits, it should have a "lifetime warranty" on it.

#4 ·
oooooo
Root tabs are a pain. Don't use those. ick! I would attempt to use some of this instead of the tabs http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753891&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
And maybe some of this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753921&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
Expensive, but one of the best and will last you a long time if you're treating less than 50 gallons a week. Even then, 1 large bottle will last a while.

And yes peacock fern is not aquatic. Unless you have 90% of it out of water, it will wither and die in your tank.

#6 ·
oooooo
Root tabs are a pain. Don't use those. ick! I would attempt to use some of this instead of the tabs http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753891&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo
And maybe some of this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753921&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
Expensive, but one of the best and will last you a long time if you're treating less than 50 gallons a week. Even then, 1 large bottle will last a while.

And yes peacock fern is not aquatic. Unless you have 90% of it out of water, it will wither and die in your tank.

Whats so bad with root tabs? I just hear if they aren't deep enough into the substrate they will leak into the water column and make it murky.
And I can't bring it back because I lost my receipt -.-

...hopefully it's in my friends car

and that sucks so bad about the fern!!! >.<

Why the hell do they sell them as aquatic? I need to find my receipt asap!

#8 ·
That sucks that you have to replace your fixture. Their not exactly cheap. Maybe you can get a glass canopy/and light strip. This way if it happens again you can just replace the light strip and not the whole thing.

#12 ·
#13 ·
I need fluorescent though. I already have incandescent lights and they areen't strong enough because my aquarium is too tall.
And it has to be 16'. Anything else is too big or too small -.-
I love my tank but finding stuff for it is difficult...

#17 ·
Well, i'm not sure just how much you can spend on lighting, if you want to go with the most bang for your $, I would just put the glass canopy on the tank and go to Lowes or whatever and get a shop drop light or two, put in a 24 watt 6500k cfl or two and just put them right over or on the glass.

#18 ·
Also root tabs are fine to use. I have used Seachem root tabs as well as these blood and bone Aussie made ones. Because they gradually break down, if you don't bury them properly or you disturb the substrate they are in they can leech out slightly into the water column and sometimes give off a slightly 'rotten egg' smell.

However, my clay blood and bone ones have come right out of the substrate and my plants just grow over the top of them and have not had any issues with water quality or clarity because of it.

I always use root tabs for plants like swords and crypts. Flourite itself is just an inert, clay based substrate. All it is good for is pulling nutrients out of the water column and into the substrate. So if you are not dosing fertilisers it is really going to do zilch for your plants.

#19 ·
You dont NEED an fluorescent light strip.
You can use an incandescent light strip, just put in a fluorescent bulb. I've been doing that between 6months to a year.

#26 ·
Cool, I'll test it out when i get off work.
I can't bring anything back becauseI lost the reciept so I'm going to keep the bulb in case I need it in the long run and I really like the peacock fern so I'm going to plant it.
Could I plant it in a vase?

#39 ·
You might review OldFishLady's NPT threads for tips and tricks. There are plenty of them.

Any desk lamp using a 6500K spiral CFL is better than the hassle you're having right now.

Petstores do seem to overcharge on API master test kits so, although I'd rather shop locally (in case of refunds/returns), I can't pass on this deal from Amazon:
Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies

Add a $5 doodad and get free shipping.

WoW...the price just went down. Make that a $10 doodad.

I think I'm going to get two, because they're half the price of Petco.

#40 ·
Double check this with Aokashi or someone more familiar with plants, but....

Even though that peacock fern won't do as a submerged aquarium plant, you might use it emerged, with the leaves in the air. Emergent plants remove a lot of ammonia, more than most submerged plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.