Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding Condition Question Please

641 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  tanseattle 
#1 ·
I have 5* female plakets that are so aggressive. When introduce a male and female together the plaket female is so aggressive and bite the glass. She show vertical line too and the eggs got yellow. But it is only 2 days introduction.

Question 1: do you think she will accept the male or she may hurts the male during mating? The male is HMPK dragon, which is also very strong. I just don't want anyone get hurt badly.

My female loves frozen blood worms but male does not eat it. I still wait for my mosquito larva to get bigger so that I can feed them live mosquito larva during breeding condition.

Question 2-4: Does any one use frozen blood worm for breeding condition? How many worms per female/male? Do you chop blood worm into pieces?

#2 ·
I use frozen foods: bloodworms, mosquito larvae, and brine shrimp.
I usually feed 3 small meals a day. It works for me. Conditioned my highly aggressive HMPK female this way and she was plump with eggs after just 4 days.

As far as hurting during spawning...
It happens. It's a part of the courtship. You just have to know when to step in.
I tried my HMPK female (Conchenn) with my HMDbT male (Sholto) because she carried the DbT gene and both are marbles. Conchenn was too aggressive and was attacking Sholto's body, so I removed him. He was trying to hide from her. I then tried Conchenn with my yellow dragon HMPK male. She acts very sweet and gentle when he is around.

#3 ·
I can go either way. Some females will shred the male to pieces but some aggresion is normal. During the courtship, the female will flare at the male, then she becomes submissive (might get a few nips from the male) and then she goes back to flaring and they spawn.
You need to check on them to make sure no one is beating the other, if it gets bad then you stop the spawn. A few nips and even a few missing scales are normal.

I use frozen bloodworms and pellets for conditioning. I feed 2-3 bloodworms and 2 pellets 3 times a day. I do not chop the worms, the betta have no problem eating them. I feed them to the fish with a pair of tweezers.

#7 ·
Acknowledgement:

Thank you to Vil for 2 microworm culture. I now have 4. I now know to to culture them.

Thank you junglist for 2 vails of BBS eggs. I hatch them very successfully for the first time.

Now I have two fry foods. The next thing is to set up breeding tanks while waiting for 3 pairs are under conditions.

1. Plaket (unknown source) male + plaket 5* Crazy Dog Betta
2. King (petco) male + plaket 5* female Crazy Dog Betta
3. 5* plaket Crazy Dog Betta male and female

Back up pair: younger pairs: Silver red copper dragon + blue/red plaket from Junglist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.