Betta Fish Forum banner

breeding an ee betta

3K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  BettaFx 
#1 ·
I am looking to breed my elephant ear betta at some point and would like to know compatibility. I would like to keep the over features of the elephant ear but maybe grow them larger. Is there a female king or giant beta that I could go with? thanks for any help in advance, I have experience in breeding African ciclids but I am new to betta's.

#2 ·
If you want to cross breed size, it is best to use smaller female - thus use male kings/giants and female big ear. The pair need to wrap in an embrace to fertilize the eggs. If the male is much smaller (slightly smaller is OK), he won't be able to embrace properly.

You might want to read the stickies on breeding for basic knowledge. Then ask as many questions as you can think of.

#4 ·
As far as I know, Kings could reach 2-3" (body only - without fins). If your male is only 1.5", then he would be too small. Remember, female's body is usually fatter/thicker than males. Equal sized, males have difficulty embracing too fat females.

#6 ·
whats his tail type? you'd want one with the same tail as him.
have you looked on Aquabid or ebay to see if they have any EE females?

#9 ·
yes, he looks like a PK. So you could breed him with either an hm, hmpk, or pk and you would be safe. I'm not sure if the EE gene is recessive or dominant, so if you arent in any rush to breed I'd go search around online for a month or two and see if a female EE pops up by that time.

#12 ·
go with a hmpk for sure. try to find a female with the best branching you can find and try to match their colors as closely as possible. when breeding with normal plakat female you'll have to step back many generations just to achieve better caudal, anal and of course pectoral fins. =]

#54 ·
sorry slow reply.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwbettashmp1354520773

this female pretty nice anal fin on her not too nice but must be fight in grow out tank which isn't big issue.. like said before normal PK lack branching at most they have double rays but you want at least 6+ for easy 180 spread and straight rays it sounds simple but difficult to find and sometimes you just gotta start from scratch but keep searching!

#17 ·
Yeah he's selling her for $30 and I can see why. They would make a beautiful match. The copper I have as my avatar is his breeding too. He's got 3 females I've been drooling over for him too.

#18 ·
I will note that EE is recessive. Even breeding two EE, there is no say that all or even half will show that gene. I agree with the other posts for what tail types you should hunt for.

#19 ·
With my experience with ee, breeding an ee to an ee will give you an extremely high percentage of ee offspring in the first generation. I had very few non ee and a few half ee. You should find him an ee mate if you want to continue this line but if you can't find him one then you should definitely breed him to a halfmoon or halfmoon plakat.
Great find by the way!

#22 ·
Also depends on the actual background of the fish :) him being from a pet store, you may not get higher results but you can still get some awesome fish from this spawn =D

#26 ·
Well, when the off spring are of breeding age pick a female that carries that ee gene, breed her either back to dad, or the other ee. That should result in at least 50% being ee, and then you will also have females!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.