Betta Fish Forum banner

Adjustable heater for 5 gallon tank

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  finnfinnfriend 
#1 ·
I know this topic has come up before, but I'm looking for a SMALL adjustable heater for my 5 gallon.

I currently have the Tetra 50w preset heater, which I love because it's only about 5 inches long. It has been keeping my tank at a constant 76F, but I'd like it to be 78-80F, and I've heard that adjustable heaters are the way to go. Unfortunately, every 50w heater that is adjustable that I've come across is between 10-12 inches long and I really just have no idea how I'd get it to fit in my tank! The ViaAqua 50w is the smallest one I've been able to find, at about 8 inches but that still just seems too long to me. Anyone have other suggestions?

#3 ·
+1 ^
Hydor THEO heaters are great! I wouldn't recommend any other brand.. It's adjustable and small as stated. I use it in my 3.5 doesn't under or overheat. Good looking as well.

#6 ·
Thank you for the suggestions! I was looking at the Hydors earlier and Amazon said they were 10" long...but then again that might be the length of the box or something. Do they sell all of those heaters at Petsmart or would buying it online be a better bet?

#8 ·
As long as it's by Hydor, it won't really matter where it came from. Just remember to check if the box it comes in looks okay. ;-)
And yeah, 25 watt is good. Just use 25 watts for every 5 gallons. Or 5 watts per gallon.

#11 ·
I just got the Hagen Elite Mini 25W ADJUSTABLE heater in the mail yesterday, it is sweet! Best bang for the buck at less than $15! And it has a dial for temperature control. Getting an adjustable heater is key...I HATED those retarded automatic set heaters with a passion!!!!!

BTW, a 25W heater is perfect for up to 5-gallons (and change).

#14 ·
Yeah, the Tetra 50w is supposed to keep the water at 25C, or 78F but I brought home a calibrated thermometer from work and that read 24.3C or approximately 76F (which is what my in-tank thermometer reads too). We use the Tetra heaters at work and unfortunately none of them are right on, but pretty close. My fish seem happy with the 76 (especially since my house ranges from 66-68 now that it's cold) but a little warmer would be nice. The best part is I still have the box from Walmart so I can take it back when I get a new one, lol, they'll take back anything.

I'll go look at Petsmart and Petco before buying anything online...that way I can get an idea of how big they really are. Nice to know a 25w is all I need :)
Thanks again everyone!

#16 ·
The Hydor Theo 50 watt heater is the same size as the 25 watt - 7 inches long. So if you want to go with the 50 watt, it's about the same price and it won't take up more room than the 25 watt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.