Betta Fish Forum banner

Cleaning the outside of the tank?

651 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Jessa24 
#1 ·
Some people just use water but I find that when I do it.. it's streaky :< Which makes for not so great pictures.

I've read about using a small amount of vinegar with water to clean the glass on the outside and that any vinegar that seeps in won't hurt the fish.

What do you do? Some of the pictures I've seen here have like... spotless tanks. I have fingerprints(yay two year old!) and streaks. Is there a special method or tool like a window wiper?

#2 ·
Windex lol.

Just get a microfiber cloth, and wipe it down after you used windex.

#5 ·
I use Windex too. It will not seep through the glass. I'm just careful to spray it onto a paper towel away from the tank (usually in another room) then just wipe down the front glass.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
I have used windex to clean the outside. I just didnt get to close to the top. If it could seep through then your water would seep out lol

#9 · (Edited)
Because when you spray it gets into the air and can settle into your tank. Have you ever seen those videos of people sneezing who think they're covering their mouths? Mists go farther than you think.. I don't use anything in the same ROOM as my bettas that wouldn't be okay as their tank... air fresheners, toxic cleaning supplies, etc. It's a silly risk some people choose to take because they think the mistake/accident could never happen to them.. Like people who smoke cigarettes and think there's no way they're going to get cancer.

My pet store sells special cleaning supplies.. honestly not sure what's in them, but I personally just use water and paper towels.

#10 ·
I just spray a paper towel with all purpose cleaner... you never want to directly spray the tank because some of the chemicals might get into the water. Just wipe in circular motions and make sure you use the other side of the paper towel to dry the glass after it gets wiped with the windex.

#11 ·
Don't spray it direct into the tank. Go spray the windex into whatever you are using outside the room or away from the fish tank.

Sometimes I just use a wet paper towel or cloth that was wet from regular water and wipe it normally and then I use my microfiber cloth to wipe it again to get rid of the streaks and everything. Works well for me.

So get yourself a microfiber cloth and you should be good.

#12 ·
I spray a little bit of windex on a paper towel and wipe down the outside of the tank. Then I get a dry cloth or paper towel and wipe it down once again. I don't know why people say it will seep in....just don't spray the windex near the tank itself because you don't want to accidently get any inside the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.