Betta Fish Forum banner

water changes for a filtered 1-gallon hospital tank

701 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TigerRegalia 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am currently at home from school for Winter Break, and my betta (Tommy) is in a 1-gallon tank because I am trying to get his tail biting to decrease (it got MUCH worse when I moved him to a 5-gallon tank). The filter that I was using in his 5-gallon tank is cycled, but I am now using it in his 1-gallon tank while I'm home for Break so that I can keep it cycled.

My question~ How often do I need to do water changes for a 1-gallon tank with a cycled filter? Without the filter, I do water changes for it every other day.

#2 ·
A hospital tank water must be changed 100% Also, take out the filter in the 1 gallon. Will take things worst. A member on here told me that and they were right. Just changed water 100% daily, add proper medicine and a HEATER.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info! He does have a heater, so I've got that covered. How will the filter make things worse? This is my inexperienced-ness asking :p

#4 ·
IMO/E-to get fins to heal-removal of the filter due to the water movement can cause fin damage and stress in the Long fin males and 50% water changes- daily to every other day-depending on what you are treating with.

IME-best treatment to heal or re-growth of fins-still water, heavy tannins, partial water changes with tannin stained water and good nutrition. And patience......

I would put the filter back in the 5gal and as long as you have something organic in the tank-like live plants, shrimp, snails....they will hold the nitrogen cycle....

#5 ·
Thank you so much, OFL! I am about to take out the filter to do all this. I am unfortunately already home from school now, and I left the 5-gallon at school.. I think I am just going to put the filter in a bucket of water and dose it with small amounts of ammonia and/or fish food to keep the cycle going while I'm at home for Winter Break.

I don't have any experience with using tannins, but I have read about them. I may or may not use them right now since I have never done it before, but it is helpful to know that they will aid with this.

Thanks again! I'll let you know if I have any other questions or problems, and I very well may..!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.