Betta Fish Forum banner

Would they make a good couple?

1K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Colibri 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have a little question regarding my two lovely bettas. I'm not planing breeding them right now, maybe I could try it next year. But, first I'd like to know what you think about the couple. My male is a Veil tail orange dalmatian (but, I belive in his type of tail he's called an apricot spot betta) and my female is a blue/turquoise/red veil tail. I have no idea about their genetic trees, hehe. What kind of colors might appear if I breed them? Would they be interesting? I know they'll have very smart kids because both of them are really clever. Maybe I should go for the brains, not the color patterns, hahaha!

What do you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't advocate breeding pet store bettas. Chances are your fish are already passed breeding age. Breeding is very stressful on both male and female and many times one or the other ends up dead.

If you did breed them you'd get a lot of muttly colors. Meaning you'd be getting colors that are common in pet store fish because they are mixed together without any care to form and finnage. You would get mostly reds with varying degrees of blue wash. You won't get any fish that look like the male because that is a recessive gene that requires two genotype parents to produce.

#3 ·
Agreed with above. You better off getting a nice pair for $30 on www.aquabid.com . There's plenty of pairs and nice fish to breed...plus the breeders know their fish and will help you choose the giht fish to breed.

#5 ·
Vive en Mexico? Cual estado? If you have any questions ask me or one of our breeders here (1f2f is very knowledgeable on fry foods). I've been breeding for almost 3 years now....off and on of course. The link in my signature may help ;)

#6 ·
This is greaat! Yes, I live in Mexico. Soy del Estado de Mexico, wii! I've been doing lots of research about bettas for the last weeks. My sister and boyfriend are very excited trying to convince me on breeding my gorgeous bettas (at least they're beautiful to me), but I really don't know what I would do with the kids that may be born. I'm not pleased with the idea of giving them to one of those pet stores (Maskota for instance...) because I know they wouldn't take care of them whatsoever. Some would be a pretty gift to give, but what about the others? I've heard that sometimes 30 or 40 make it to adulthood. So, the only plausible thing would maybe acquire some "pure" bettas, breed them and sell them personally or something like that.

#7 ·
Yup that's the way to go. Thai breeders ship worldwide.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm surfing through your site, it's very informative! I loved the part about the exercise, hahaha! I play with my bettas on and off because they live right next to my laptop, they love it. Thanks for all your suggestions! I'll do my research on the Thai breeders... hope to find one that doesn't charge TOO much for the shipment. :)

#9 ·
Hehe thanks :)

You'll need a transhipper to recieve your fish and mail them to you, this can get pricey but I have one near me so I can pick my fish up :)

#10 ·
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. My transshipper lives in Queretaro... he charges something like 10 dollars for the shipping to your house. I think it's OK... the gasoline and the highway would make it much more expensive if I picked them up, hahaha! Buying a fish of the ones he has on his store... I don't know. They seem very expensive (49 - 60 dollars... :S). Although, maybe the ones that come from Thailand with all the shipping and everything would cost the same. Perhaps the guy where I buy the brine shrimps for my little two and anything else I need for them knows about someone who breeds pure bettas near me.

#11 ·
There has to be some pure ones in Mexico, I've seen sites before. I'll look. Anyway have you thought about what kinds of bettas you'd like to breed? Right now (my first spawn in almost 9 months) I'm breeding HMPK Blue Dragons.

#12 ·
Well... that's a great question! I like Veil tails a lot, perhaps because that's the type of betta I've always seen. Halfmoons are also very beautiful too. But, from all the new ones I've been reading about, I would say the Rosetail is the one I like most. I just don't like that some can suffer abnormalities in their bodies. Sadly, I've never seen a HM of a Rosetail "live", only in pictures. And do they look beautiful...

#13 ·
I like veils too but to the IBC they're not worthy of being show fish. Right now I'm focusing on the short fins, something I've never worked with before.

#15 ·
Oohh... I see. I think that every betta is beautiful, whether he's pure blood, or one that costs 2 dollars. It's great you're trying something new! I hope my breeding attempts (if I try them) pay off with many beautiful fishes that I can be proud of.

#17 ·
Most breeders use aquabid now a days :)

#19 ·
Ya I tried to pull up all his auctions but couldn't find them...

#20 ·
He only has an Excel document with price listings... I wished he uploaded some pictures to see the bettas. If I turned out a good breeder (fingers crossed!!) I would make a nice website filled with pictures because as we say here "de la vista nace el amor", hahaha. At least with bettas so it happens...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.