Betta Fish Forum banner

Blind Betta Care?

8K views 72 replies 14 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
I bought a blind betta today and was wondering if anyone had some tips for me on taking care of him?

Ive had a fish with one eye before but never one that was fully blind. After reading some posts on here, it looks like I should invest in one of those feeding rings?

Here's a pic, he has diamond eyes.
Fish Fish Tail Underwater Aquarium

See less See more
#2 ·
wow, he's so pretty! but i'm honestly unsure of blind fish care. :[

#5 ·
Fortunately, since fish have this sensor thing called the lateral line, blind fish aren't as helpless as blind mammals would be. A feeding ring would help so he knows where to go for food at mealtimes. Avoid moving the decor around too much. Otherwise, I think it's pretty much like normal betta care.

#6 ·
good to know, thank you everyone.

I took most of the decor out that i would usually have with a betta since some of them had edges he could run into. Right now he just has a cave with a silk flower on top that I made.

^^

#19 ·
good to know, thank you everyone.

I took most of the decor out that i would usually have with a betta since some of them had edges he could run into. Right now he just has a cave with a silk flower on top that I made.

^^
You make silk flowers?! I see one of them in your avatar pic. They are gorgeous! It would be cool if you started making them for people and selling them! I know I would buy one! As for your blind betta, I'm sorry I can't help. My only advice is to not move around his decor too much as that might confuse him. Good luck! :)

#9 ·
He's pretty. :) You're doing the right thing. I also feed frozen foods with an eye dropper. That might help and be cheaper than a feeding ring. That way he won't have to struggle getting food so much, even in a ring. I have one who is blind in one eye and it helps him. And all my fish come running (swimming? haha) when the see the eye dropper. :p

#10 ·
My friend has a genetically partially blind betta (who luckily, can see shadows and some light), and he lives like a normal betta. However, he became disgruntled when his fabric plant moved :lol: but, they don't seem to mind not seeing anything :) goodluck with your betta!!

#13 ·
Thank you all so much for the tips!
Youve all been incredibly helpful 8D

As for the feeding tap, I have to take the lid off my tank when I feed then and it makes a noise, so that should work as a tap ^^

#17 ·
I agree with Sakura8.... you also might be able to fit in more varieties of non-aggressive, secretive fish that non-blind bettas would normally go for. Am I right, or would they atill attack? Best of luck, anyway.

#18 ·
:lol: you actually could. Of course keep in mind that the betta will still smell them and feel them moving, so something not on the top level of the water would work. Shrimp, snails...depending on the tank itself...ADF, cories, etc.

#22 ·
Lol! That cup with the flower on top is actually the one he has in with him. I dont technically make them, I just take fake silk flowers and use aquarium sealant to stick them onto cups and stuff. ^^
I still think that's pretty cool! What sealant do you use? If you don't mind I think I might borrow that idea. :) Do you have more than one of those decorations? If so more pics would be appreciated. What silk flowers do you reccomend using? :)

#23 ·
BettaMommy, the sealant is probably silicone? Correct me if I'm wrong. I would love a few of those too! LOL I might use that idea as well as I have no hidey places in with my bettas at all right now and I've been trying to find something that would work well! I think I'd like to stick fake plants all around it to make it look less like an actual cup :p

Good on you for taking such a needy little fellow into your care. If I could fill my house with aquariums and bump my hubby down to the basement, I'd take home every poor fish I could and rehab them. But alas I have a tank limit :/ So keep the updates coming, I can't wait to see how this guy does!

#24 ·
I have a betta that is at least partially blind. I have a feeding ring for him so he knows where his food is. When the pellets sink sometimes he'll chase them but usually he lets them go right on by. He seems to look for food on the bottom of his tank and one time I saw him playing with his food. lol He swam up to the pellet and nudged it several times before eating it. lol It was so cute.

#25 ·
I have a betta with diamond eyes, so I know some of what you'll have to go through in order to take care of him. Luckily for me, Dancer's eyes are still somewhat translucent, so he can see moving shadows. Maybe you'll get lucky and that'll be the case for yours, but judging by the heaviness of the coloration over his eye, chances are he's probably fully blind.

As the others said, move the decor as little as possible. A feeding ring, or feeding in the same spot every feeding will help. Drop the food about 1/2 to 1 inch in front of his nose. At that distance, he should be able to "smell" it so he can find it. Too close, and he'll probably ignore it or won't realize it's there. When doing water changes, expect him to become confused. It's normal for the blind ones since they can't see what's going on, only feel. A tank mate for him would be ideal (shrimp, snail, catfish, etc.) so that you won't have to clean up the pellets he misses (and he will, trust me). If you have a filter in the tank, baffle it to reduce the current in the tank. That'll make it easier on him.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new friend!

#26 ·
Oh goodness, suddenly tons of replies XD

@Sena Hansler
Of course I get the one betta who wont eat shrimp after Ive shelled out money for newseparate tanks to get my cherry red and yellow shrimp colony going XD

@BettaMommy531rip
Its just basic aquarium sealant, I had a bunch left over from when I divided my tanks. Feel free to use the idea since its not my own ;) I get my silk flowers from goodwill and second hand shops. Just stay away from things covered in glitter, scented, or that fake dew stuff. Soak it for a weak before actually using it to make sure it wont leech into your water. I will try my best to get pictures, Ive a shoddy phone and everything I've made is being guarded by my grumpy bettas lol!

@MandiceP
You should definitely try it, you can find a TON of neat cups after second hand stores that look really neat.

I hit my tank limit about 3 tanks ago. Right now, in my bedroom, i have 8 TANKS. A 3 gallon, a 30 breeder, a 2.5 gallon, two 10 gallons, a 1.5 gallon for my other charity case betta LOL, my 5 gallon and my 40 gallon breeder. Whats worse is that I have an empty 29 gallon AND ITS CALLING TO ME. D: My BF would throw a total hissy fit if i filled it though so Ive managed to restrain myself... for now :p

@dramaqueen
Ive noticed my guy playing with his food too though I think its him mostly trying to find it. He's managed to locate the 3 pellets I threw in earlier though so I think he's managing incredibly well. My LFS had him on straight bloodworms so I was really worried about converting him to pellets AND helping him find them x.x

@guardianfyre
Thank you, thats very helpful!
I've done a few tests and he is definitely fully blind.

I do have a filter and its already baffled, it also keeps the pellets in one corner so he'll pick up where they go sooner or later. I'll throw in a couple cherries from my colony when I get him fully settled in and he knows where everything. Ive got a female cherry ready to give birth so hopefully I'll have some quite soon! I can see the eyes on the eggs, not sure if its creepy or cool yet o.o
Thanks for the luck!

#27 ·
lol should have seen how hard it was to convert my friend's betta from the junk flakes they fed in the store, to pellets.
and the eggs with eyes....cool AND creepy :| :lol:

#30 ·
I can only imagine D:
I was just glad to hear they were giving him bloodworms instead of flakes x.x

I decided the shrimp eggs are creepy, the tank is right by my bed so it's like theyre staring at me ;A;

:B i told ya how i cared for Theo.

for a feeding ring, go to the store, and find one of those sets of plastic measuring spoons. i used the ring off that. xD cheap, and you have measuring spoons! :D

i showed you all the decor i had. two plants. :B and i NEVER moved them. when i'd do a water change, i'd put them back in the same spot as before. he always knew where to run if he got scared.
Im going to see if i can make my own feeding ring, need to save money where I can X3 It's funny though, I want to spoil this guy soooo badly XD

Once I get his tank set up, I wont plan on moving any of the decor. He finally found his cave and was lurking in it this morning so he does have a hiding space for now ^^

Be aware, he will definitely panic while being scooped into a cup. My friend's betta flipped right out, and I had to cover all sides to leave him in darkness and keep him from bailing x.x
Good to know, all my bettas are pretty laid back so I wouldnt expect one to make a jump. Now I can expect it with him ^^

#28 ·
:B i told ya how i cared for Theo.

for a feeding ring, go to the store, and find one of those sets of plastic measuring spoons. i used the ring off that. xD cheap, and you have measuring spoons! :D

i showed you all the decor i had. two plants. :B and i NEVER moved them. when i'd do a water change, i'd put them back in the same spot as before. he always knew where to run if he got scared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.