Betta Fish Forum banner
14K views 57 replies 9 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
On Sep. 29, 2012 I bought 2 bunches of a plant which was sold under the label BACOPA CRENATA. However, from the images i see online it more likely resembles BACOPA MONNIERI (aka WATER HYSSOP). Despite both bunches surviving, much of the lush leaves have wilted off. I tried relocating them toward the center of my tank where it will receive more light, but the leaves continue to wilt off. So, before they completely turn to mush Ill conduct a basic experiment suggested by a very experienced fellow forum-er, Aokashi. Aokashi suggested floating the Bacopa which will bring them closer to the lighting. So half of my Bacopa is now floating at the surface while the other half remains planted in the middle of the tank.

Tank: 5g cycled
Light: Standard CFL
Temperature: 80F-82F
PH: 7.6-7.8
Inhabitants: Blooey (male Betta) and 2 Anubias
Photo Period: 5 hrs/day

So I chose the shabbiest of the bunch to be in the floating group, here they are...

Here is the group that is now floating at the surface of the tank (after I cleaned off all the dying leaves)...

and here is the group that is still planted in the middle of the tank...

Blooey! Get out of the picture! =P As I was saying... here is the group that is still planted in the middle of the tank...

I will post progress every few days.

**Please correct any terminology mistakes i have made or misinformation I am guilty of spreading, Thanks!**

See less See more
#43 ·
I believe ur right, I read somewhere when the top of the plant reaches the surface of the water it will begin to grow laterally then roots may start growing from the plant nodes??? I came home today and whadayaknow look what I noticed...

(Note: this is from the "Planted Group")

#56 ·
Whenever I float Bacopa I can propagate 5+ shoots every week from each stalk, very easy plant to clone, grows well emersed under right conditions. Try adding more nutrients and less light and do flash periods with overkill on lights then long periods of darkness to force it to reproduce new growth.

#57 ·
Wow 5+ shoots!? That's amazing! I started adding Flourish and Flourish Potassium last week. Unfortunately I'm also battling a BGA infection so the flash period will have to wait. As soon as I overcome the BGA ill definitely give that a try. Thanks for the input! 5+ shoots.... Amazing......:shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.