Betta Fish Forum banner

Orange OHM x Cellophane HM

22K views 159 replies 23 participants last post by  ravenwinds 
#1 ·
Figured it was about time to start my spawn log: the pair has been in the spawn tank since Saturday. I was really worried that they wouldn't spawn. But, sometime in the wee hours of the morning, the female jumped out of the glass tube. Let the bubble blowing commence! She's a very good mom so far; helping dad build the bubble nest, and she's collecting the eggs without eating ANY! So far the bubble nest is very small, yet somehow holding the eggs. :shock:
Anyway, here's the proud parents:

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys! I'll be posting updates regularly. I'm really happy with this pair. The male is from petco, and the female is from a breeder in Florida. They both have very good caudals, toplines, and decent dorsals. I love the male's color, and the female's father was very similar to him. (Her mom was a white dragon) The only real problem with this pairing is the iridescence on the female. The male also has some, but its much more noticable on her.
I'm expecting orange, yellow, cellophane, and maybe some reds from this spawn.

#7 ·
I has fry!! They are so tiny! Poor Quasar is going crazy trying to keep everybody in the now HUGE nest. I used one of those big cups that iced tea comes in at McDonalds: the nest has now expanded out of the cup, and is preceding to conquer the rest of the tank. He even has a small "just for fun" nest on the other side of the tank. I'm so happy this pair has worked out well so far. =)

#8 ·
Some fry are already starting to swim on their own. Quasar's bubble nest now takes up almost 1/3 of the 16 gal spawn tub. 0_o
Here's my tub:

Its a 16 gal rubbermaid bin that I used to breed snails in. It has a sponge filter (waiting to turn it on until fry are free swimming), a heater set to 83*-84*, lots of plants, both live and silk. I'm planning to leave dad with the fry as long as possible, I'm basically just playing it by ear.
Here are some pics of Quasar's supernest - its gotten even bigger since I took these:

Just for reference, the cup is a large iced tea cup from McDonalds.

Sorry for the sucktacular quality. My phone is being stubborn, LOL.

#12 · (Edited)
The fry are now free swimming! I got a little panicky when I couldn't see any babies, but I found them hiding in the GOBS of floating plants I've got in there.
It was really sad to see that amazing bubblenest collapse when Quasar was done with it. Just glad I got some pictures! =)
Quasar is still being the model dad. Depending on how this spawn works out, I might to a respawn with this pair. Also depending on how the fry turn out, I'm planning on sending a few to the IBC shows next season. Actually, Id probably go, too, if I can find one close enough! ;)
Going off of the IBC standards (current as of 2008, have they changed at all?) Quasar would be classified as metalic orange. The standard says he should look like an orange crayon. Well, that's my boy! And Solstice is just a cellophane with too much irridescence, but her form makes up for it. I wish she would hold still for a photo! She's gotten bigger, and her fins have grown out beautifully. She has great balance.
Viva - My newest betta looks just like the one in your pic, except he has turqouise instead of copper!

#13 ·
The babies had their first feeding of walter worms today - I was worried that the worms would be too big, but the fry went nuts! Dad even caught himself a few. I've also got vinegar eels for some variety. =) Just waiting for those to reproduce some more.

#15 ·
Happy Halloween! Sorry to be posting so much, but I thought I'd just show y'all the female's father, and outline my plans for creating my orange HM line. So, here's Gramps:

I'm planning on seeing how much iridescence these fry end up with, and probably inbreeding those with the best form, color, and least irid for 2-3 generations, then outcrossing to a DT to improve dorsal base. I'd die of excitement if I could get one of Karen Macauley's reds to put some really great fins on my fish, but thats probably just a daydream, LOL.

Little did I know when I saw that little orange "delta" at petco, that I would be embarking on such a journey!

BTW, dad is still in with the fry, and doing an awesome job.

#16 ·
Seems you have long road ahead of you!
Congrats on the fry! Now is when the work, worrying, and fun actually begin.
To our disspointment, Karen is not breeding reds :( I wanted to grab one from her when she did that spawn over a year ago but she only got a few out of them and has moved on since.
If you're lucky enough to get anything from Karen, shoot for a female. Hers have very strong characteristics that show very well on the fry. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until next year for that.
Watch you ammonia very closely. The plants will help but that makes a big difference between weak and strong fry.
Best of luck!!

#17 ·
I have Soltice's sister...and brother...and cousin from previous spawn. I have spawned the cousin, a pretty yellow platinum (you see a lot of mom's dragon scale covering about half of her pale yellow) with a turqoise blue HM from Thailand....they are 2weeks old at present and growing every day! I hope you and your babies the best of luck!

#18 ·
Awesome ravenwinds! Do you have pics of her sister and brother? The pics Angela put on their AB listings were when they were relly young, so it was hard seeing their form well. I'm glad I got her, she was the last one left! As she's gotten bigger, her tail and anal have grown out: her branching is now better, and her anal has stayed nice and even.

#19 ·
I have some pics of cousin, but haven't taken any of brother and sister yet. I know it was difficult to see what they would be with the young pics Angela had. It was easier after I had cousin, then I knew what I was getting :)
I'll try to get pics up of all of them soon

#21 ·
Haha, Quasar gave me quite a scare today. He's been doing great with his fry, which are now 1 week old and growing fast. I went in to check on everybody, and I didn't see any fry! I thought that the little stinker had gobbled up Junior, but turns out they were cruising around the bottom, noming on walter worms. Whew!
On a slightly related note, I'm going to order Golden Pearls for these babies. I need to know what size to get: something that they can eat now, but that won't be too tiny next week. I'd hate most of a 1/4 lb bag to go to waste. Do these things even have a shelf life? I don't plan on spawning again for another 4-5 months, and I'd hate for them to spoil.

#22 ·
I get golden pearls from sam8ps ( I think that's correct) off of aquabid...go for the size that isn't powdered...you can always put some in another bag and rolling pin it to powder! This seller doesn't have much in the way of pellets but ALL my fish go nuts for his blend which is very powdery in its own right so it coat betta pellets in it so they can go nuts, too!
I don't know if they have a shelf life, but they are as reasonably priced as all his other foods and so everyone gets a treat of golden pearls...seems to really pick the girls up after spawning. My blue and gold gouramis which are approximately 6mos old really Hoover up all the little powdery bits of food which was kinda a surprise since they are so large...smallest being about 2.5inches of pure fish ( not much in the way of flowing fins like their beloved cousins).
Hope that helps a bit, maddybelle. Turquoise, the papa of your babies cousins, gave me the same scare...thought they disappeared into his belly when really they had about doubled in size and were surfing the top in between clusters of dwarf water lettuce...most were so white they blended in with the fuzz on the plants and the very light green roots! And Turquoise is just hanging out looking at me like "you were thinking bad things about me, weren't you!"

#23 ·
LOL, poor Quasar just looked so offended when I accused him of eating his kids (yeah, I talk to my fish). He has gotten so BRIGHT living in the fry tank. I guess lots of really good food, 83* water, gobs of live plants, IAL, and 9 gallons of swimming space (mostly horizontal) really do make for a happy betta!
Do you think that the 200-300 micron size would work?

#24 ·
Probably would.

Don't worry, I talk to my fish too...and I have 14 adult bettas! Not to mention the community tanks of gouramis, Cory cats, guppies, mollies, tetras, and other assorted aquatic life. So far, only the bettas and 4 gouramis (original trio of my blue/gold/opaline gouramis + 1 poor dwarf fire gourami) "talk" back...LOL

Yeah, I see that too...like a carry over from getting so BRIGHT to attract a female...if they don't eat their babies, they just get happier, I think...I am sure all the extras of food and space help, but I also think of it as the reverse maternity/new mother glow (if that makes any sense).

#25 ·
I think that "daddy depression", when the male gets mopey after he's removed, is a definite sign theat we're doing something wrong. My1 week old babies are easily as big as some of the 3 week olds I've seen. I think having Dad there to weed out the weeker ones leaves more food and room for the stronger fry. That, and there's just something magical about watching Quasar and the fry swimming around in the naturalistic tub. I tried to get it as close to a miniature pond as I could. Lots of live plants, IAL, and snails to clean up extra food and the rare dead fry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.