Betta Fish Forum banner

Orange OHM x Cellophane HM

22K views 159 replies 23 participants last post by  ravenwinds 
#1 ·
Figured it was about time to start my spawn log: the pair has been in the spawn tank since Saturday. I was really worried that they wouldn't spawn. But, sometime in the wee hours of the morning, the female jumped out of the glass tube. Let the bubble blowing commence! She's a very good mom so far; helping dad build the bubble nest, and she's collecting the eggs without eating ANY! So far the bubble nest is very small, yet somehow holding the eggs. :shock:
Anyway, here's the proud parents:

See less See more
#77 ·
About half mine have black eyes and the other half will have the iridescent eyes. It s funny that when my orange dalmations showed iridescence, then the pale orange and a,couple were turning into cellophanes but body colours came first ...then fins began to darken; became a darker and more substantial but still pale orange. The darker red-orange colors showed up last; red fins on cambodian then the red-orange spots were last!

I didn't know that about GP , but I only feed them GP about 3 times a week. Vinegar eels are easy: put funnel in a clean jar or glass (i use a solo plastic cup from a cold drink at espresso stand:). Put a coffee filter inside funnel. Take vinegar eels and pour about a cup into cup (without funnel) then pour cup back into eel's home. Put funnel w/filter in glass, then pour mildly mixed (from the cup pouring) into filter in funnel, to the top. Let fluid empty into glass, then put fluid back in eel home. The eels are now on filter. I rinse cup w/water and fill it about 1/2 to 3/4 and put vinegar eel filter in cup and swish around. Then pour water w/vinegar eels in it into grow-out tank.

#78 ·
32 days old - these guys are getting big! The ones that have the swim bladder issues are slowly improving - hopefully I caught it in time. They're starting to chase each other and nip. Nothing major, and I don't think its really anything out of the ordinary. I got some new fish food today -at Omega One Freshwater Flakes. I wanted to get the adults some flakes to add more variety, and to try giving to the babies. The fry love it! It was on sale at petsmart, and the first 6 ingredients are whole salmon, halibut, black cod, whole herring, whole shrimp, and whole krill.

#80 ·
So these guys turned 5 weeks on Wednesday. I really need to start doing more water changes - the biggest fry are 1 inch already, and the smallest are about 0.5 inches. Anywho, picture time!!!

Please excuse the specs on the surface of the water, I had just fed them their evening flakes.

#84 ·
Me too! After all, until yesterday when I moved things around to accommodate 4 New bettas from Thailand (a pair of gold copper gases HM and a pair of red dragon monsters HM), I had 2 unrelated adult females, one of which tore a male of my almost to pieces...really shred him up but he's fine now...anyway these 2 girls were in a 5gallon relatively unplanted tank together.
And I have community tank with 3 spot gouramis and a betta, another tank with guppies of all ages and a very full finnaged HM male!
And my orange Dalmatian HMs still live together even though they are adults and they're 2 alpha males.

I honestly think that many people try too hard to separate bettas into their own individual tanks and that lots of fish can be placed together if you use just a modicum of sense and watch things carefully! Of course, I also think that everyone has a different approach and it is ok for that as well.

#85 ·
Ooo, orange dal HMs! I demand pictures.
I've tried my best to provide a relatively natural setting for my fry. In the wild, they wouldn't be isolated from other fish, and I think that the sooner the kids get used to other critters, the better they will tolerate them later. LOL, you should see how curious my fry are about their mom. There'll be 30 of them just sitting there, staring at her, and she's like, "Meh."

#86 ·
She's probably glad she doesn't have to breast feed them!
I am really bad about pics...haven't updated my albums in forever! The orange dalmation proud papa is Carnelian from my album here...he was such a great dad! He died shortly after but he was first spawning I had done with bettas and I was spoiled by him...the next 3 males I tried either failed completely or ate their kids.
Did you see, blimp33 has some more oranges for sale on aquabid...so does "nack" at beaverbetta (i wonder if he knows connotations of his betta company's name?). Nack is a sweetheart though; I had won one of his copper/red/black HMs and two days before he was to be shipped, he got stressed and chewed his tail pretty bad, so Nack emailed me the bad news w/pics and was worried that the trip would do the betta in! So, you can see how well he cares about his bettas...and, of course, as a result, I am always looking at his fish for one to buy :)

#88 ·
These kids will be 6 weeks old on Wednesday. I've ordered their jars - $22 for 50 32oz containers w/lids, free shipping! They should arrive soon. I'm going to wait as long as possible to jar them (water changes are just simpler with one 15gal than 50+ 32oz containers)

I need to start lining up homes for the little guys/gals. I'm seeing lots of cambodian looking fry. Hopefully at least some will get some red on their bodies. I'm also seeing plenty of orange, ranging from light, almost pastel, to bright, vibrant, Crayola orange. There's a few fry that look as if they'll turn out yellow.

Who wants a baby? Or 4? ;)

#89 ·
I might...been looking for a great yellow and a great orange...your babies uncle, my male HM, seems to have set on a nearly solid pastel orange with very little iridescence...might be interesting to keep going in that direction by breeding him to one of your lighter orange girls :)...I could call it the orange sherbet line. :)

#91 ·
I am very interested in seeing how they come out! Have a cellophane girl in my breeding baracks, and in a month or so will be getting some oranges (hopefully) from a spawn. This is a possible consideration for me in 6+ months.. this or blue/oranges. So would like to see what comes from these guys..

#92 ·
And, we have ventrals! Well, only one fry is showing theirs at the moment, but its something. Also, the fry are starting to get color on their bodies! I'm a little dissapointed, because some of the prettiest babies are showing dad's black scales. His is only a minor fault, but I figured crossing to cellophane would eliminate it.

Oh, and, I got my 32oz containers today! I now definitly know where to go if I ever need more. These are perfectly clear, and I easily added a few air holes and a feeding hole in each of the lids. Pictures tommorow.

#96 ·
So, I've jarred 4 fry so far. They're still pretty small, but these guys were pigging out and their smaller siblings weren't getting enough to eat. They seem to be doing okay on their own, but I've got them where they can see each other so they don't get lonely. Mom's still chillin in the fry tank, and it looks as if all the guppy fry are males.

#101 ·
Culled most of the tiny fry that weren't growing, including Tiny and Stormageddon. They just weren't doing well. Also culled some larger fry with spinal deformities. I took them down to my lfs to feed to the oscars, and promptly got bit by a 7 incher. My finger is not a worm!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.