Betta Fish Forum banner

Fishes

4K views 86 replies 17 participants last post by  madmonahan 
#1 ·
Little Leaf and I had a talk and her fishies were like in the Hunger Games. Every fish for themselves They are nipping each other, Rose is scared, has a black scale, every fish is nipping. I appreciate your help and I have asked Little Leaf to fill out info.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5g
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? nah
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 10 other fish...(thanks alot, dad >: (ugh)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3 or 4 times weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% or 100% sometimes
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: NO TEST KIT
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? its with all my fish
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? my fish are all nipping
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few minute ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nope
Does your fish have any history of being ill? king dedede having fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A

See less See more
#5 ·
Little Leaf and Perry - I'm not sure what you're asking us to help with....

You guys already know what the issues are: Too many fish in the tank. Male betta, female betta and 'fin nippers' all together. Etc.

I think that Little Leaf is doing the best she can with the tank. But if her parents won't let her remove any of them, or put them into another tank, then there isn't a whole lot more I can think of suggesting. Sorry....

#7 ·
I'm a little confused as to why your parents are adamant on shoving so many fish into this tank... The only thing you can really do is keep it clean. They will eventually learn because they will likely not live long in this circumstance..

#8 ·
Ya that's to-many fish, the only thing i can suggest is maybe put allot of plants in it so they cant constantly see each other. Also look around and see if you can find a free 10g or 20g, so if you can's setup another tank then you can just move the fish into a bigger tank.

#10 ·
I'm assuming you have tried showing your parents the comments you got here? There are some VERY experienced fish keepers on this forum that KNOW very well what they are talking about! And if King Dedede was your fish to begin with I find it very sad that your parents are shoving so many fish in his tank, he is YOUR fish, right? Why don't they get their own tank if they know everything about fish? Just an observation, I'm not trying to be rude...

#12 ·
And walmart has those 2 gallon jars for like $9 I think. It would be a downgrade from the 5 but it would be much better for him to be alone in a 2 gallon than with 10 other fish in a 5 gallon...

#24 ·
Have you asked if you can get a small tank for your bedroom (or someplace else in the house), and moving one of the Bettas?

Even a one gallon tank with a heater would allow you to rescue one of the fish. Better to live alone in a 1 gal, than fight every day in an overcrowded 5 gal.....

Here's a potential 'cheap' setup:
1 gallon critter keeper from Walmart - $6 (or 1 gallon tank from Petsmart - $8)
Top Fin or Marina Betta Heater from Petsmart - $12
Total cost - $18 - $20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.