Betta Fish Forum banner

Rant!

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Adastra 
#1 ·
Agh I'm just so frustrated with my family! My new betta isn't all so healthy and he has a case of fin rot and ich both very minor! He just got home today and the first thing that my family said was "He looks like he's going to die! Why do you always get the ones who are the sickest?" Then I just said "Well If I wouldn't have gotten him he would have died probably!" So now they all just keep going that he's going to die! It's so frustrating!! Sorry about the rant guys just had to let it out!

#3 ·
Not everyone understands the passion we have for our fish. Ignore them and do what you think is best for your fishies and what makes you happy.

I have a soft spot for the ones that I know will not be sold to anyone who wants a showpiece. I've rescued a few that looked like death warmed over and they are gorgeous and vibrant today

#4 ·
Omg I hear you! Akrin had really bad fin damage, so I was saying I needed some conditioner that helped fin damage and how I need to change his water so he wouldnt get fin rot, and my mom was like "If you constanly change his water he will die" and " you cant change his water you will get rid of all the good bactiria"! it was so frusterating! But luckly my mom is gone all day at work and im on summre break so when she left I changed the water and I even biked to petsmart and bought the conditioner >:)

#6 ·
Well THAT must drive you crazy!

Dang it! :BIGangry: They could AT LEAST give you some reasurance!:frustrated: Let me tell you this. When your little fishy become big, beutiful and vibrant, you can laugh at them and say "I told you so!" :rofl:

#7 ·
That is so unsupportive of them! They're not even being realistic. The fact is, plenty of bettas have recovered from ich and fin rot.

It sounds like they wanted some eye candy, but it's actually a richer experience (and much more gratifying) to bring home a sick betta and nurse it to health. Then you'll feel like you truly deserve all that beauty that brightens up each day.

#8 ·
I'm all for rescuing sick fish--but be aware that when you simply buy a sick fish from the pet store, that another fish will simply take its place next week. When you buy sick fish from a pet store, you are encouraging a system that is not held accountable for the health and quality of their fish, and though you have helped one fish, you may just as soon as damned the next one. I urge people not to make sympathy purchases in this manner.

If you see a sick fish that you want to save, get the manager involved, tell them what is wrong with the fish, and that you will take it as long as you can get the fish for free, or at least at cost value. If you can't, then leave. It's hard to do this but if you keep giving the store money, their policies will never change.

I hope your fish recovers and that your family understands later--but if they don't, don't let it get to you. Tell them they should be happy you're helping fish instead of doing drugs or eating glue or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.