Betta Fish Forum banner

Mystery Snail Food Recipe

7K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  bettakeeper91 
#1 ·
Here is a great food recipe for all you mystery snail owners out there. Here it is:
Ingredients:
3-5 crushed calcium pills
1 crushed algae disk
A couple of crushed fish flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon of honey

Add all the ingredients together in a microwave-safe bowl, mix them until they all stick together (this won’t be pretty, but it will get better). Microwave all the ingredients for 20 seconds and stir until they are nicely mixed together. *For the next step you have to work as fast as possible, the mix will harden within minutes* Pour the mixture into small portions about the size of the original algae disk on tinfoil and put in the freezer to set. Leave them there for about an hour and when you take them out, let them come to room temperature by leaving them out in a room for about another hour. They are ready for your snails to chow down on! Give it to them one at a time and only once a week but remember to be feeding them their normal food in between. Store in a re-usable container in the fridge. Enjoy!
Tell me what you think!:-D

See less See more
#5 ·
Great! But can I make a little modification? *Ok ALWAYS store them in the freezer and don't worry about letting it settle to room temperature for an hour. Just take it out of the freezer and give it to your snail right away. The honey stops it from freezing rock hard to don't worry about it hurting your snails.* I gave one to my snail the other day and he loved it. It attracts even the pickiest of snails to get a good intake of calcuim for their shell. They love the sweetness of the honey and honey has natural sugars in it so it is 100% safe. Do not however, give your snails normal white sugar! Anyways, enjoy and tell me what you and your snails think!

#6 ·
Neat. I wouldn't have thought to feed my aquatic pets honey. Sounds sticky (lol jk). I'll have to try that!

I plan to get another Mystery snail today, anyway. Since I accidently killed my last one with water treatment, I've been wanting another one SO badly! I am easily entertained by slow-moveing invertebrates!:lol:

#7 ·
Hehe I love mystery snails! The recipe is also good because once it makes contact with the bottom of you tank, the top layer will melt alway once your snail starts eating and the middle layer will stick to the bottom until to next water change or until your snail eats it all! So what are you going to name your snail? I have a fairly large black one so I named it Blackberry!

#8 ·
If you are asking me, I don't know yet. I named my last one Davy Jones.:lol:

#10 ·
I didn't get him today.:-(. I have a small, independant LFS and they weren't open normal Saturday buisness hours today.

Davy Jones was a Gold Mystery Snail. I want to get another that looks alot like him.:)

#13 ·
Hey everyone! I have an all NEW recipe! Here it is. I will be posting all my new recipes here in this topic, so keep checking back! Tell me what you think!

Dog Food Crispies
Ingredients:
1TBSP dog food- crushed
3-5 calcium pills- crushed
Few pinches of fish flakes
1 1/2 TSP honey
Few pinches of Rice Crispies- crushed

Add the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Make sure all the ingredients are mixed together with the honey and microwave it for 20 seconds. Take it out and form little disks about the size of a penny. You will need to use your hands. This step is quite difficult, but you really have to pack them in so they stay together. Like making snowballs! Place the disks on tinfoil or plastic wrap and place them in the freezer. Store them in the freezer and just give one to your snail when you are ready! Tell me what you think!

#14 ·
Going to make recipe one now, just wrote everything down. I bought a MS a couple of days ago and unfortunately fed him a wafer last night so it may be a few days before I get to try this on him/her. Will post back though when I get results good or bad.

I would try the second recipe but with so many possibilites of what is in dog food I am afraid of contaminating the water with something off the wall. :)

#15 ·
Hope you don't mind if I post a recipe. This is from aquariacentral....
Snail Jello
1 can of baby food (4-6 oz)
1 tsp+ fish food (may be omitted)
Calcium/vitamin supplements (I use 1tsp Jurassi-reptical powder w/out phosphorus)
1 packet (= 1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin

You can select any fish food and any flavor of baby food that you like. Try to find baby foods with at least 4% calcium (vegetable medley has a higher %), either fruit or vegetable types are find. This is a good way to feed fish foods that are good for snails but don't sink, like freeze-dried shrimp, or fish foods that have a strong smell when cooked in other recipes. You can mix in much more than a teaspoon of fish food, and including the ingredients of a "snail trail mix" instead of a single fish food would make this snail treat more nutritionally complete.

Instructions

Open the baby food and pour it into a small bowl. Heat the baby food in the microwave for 60 seconds (caution, it will be very hot).

Stir in the unflavored gelatin (add it slowly to avoid unsightly clumps of gelatin; don't use a blender or you risk creating air bubbles that will make it float) crushing any lumps with the back of a spoon.

Add calcium supplements and vitamins if you have/want them. Stir thoroughly.

Pour this mixture into a dish with a flat bottom (tupperware-type containers work well; if you are doubling or tripling this recipe, you might consider a pie pan).* Fold in your fish food(s) if you are adding any.

Refrigerate for several hours, then return and cut into cubes.

One jar of baby food yields a good handful of snail treats. Keep them refrigerated until serving. These sink and hold up pretty well in the tank, but as with any food, large uneaten portions should be removed after the snails have finished. These can be frozen for up to a month.

*You can use an ice cube tray to create big treats for a tank full of snails. No slicing is needed in this case.
I'm yet to try it, but from what I've read, snails, shrimps, and sometimes other bottom feeders love it, and because it's so packed with vitamins and calcium your snails will have really healthy shells.

#17 ·
I must have done something horribly wrong.. I dropped one in the tank and it immediately started dissolving. Within minutes it was down to almost nothing. The snail made it in time to get a nibble if that. Methinks I will stick to wafers since this is not working out too well for me. :(

#19 ·
Yeah, my tank is a milky white now.. Houston, I have a problem. Any thoughts on what this may cause to the water? I have my fish in QT right now but it would stink to find out my water is hosed and I need an emergency evac to take place. My concern is if it affects the tank adversely and the cycle goes kaput.

#20 ·
Oh my gosh. I am so sorry everybody. It didn't do this with me. :( . What I did was when I change my tank water, I put my snail in a small bowl with one. Oh my gosh this is so embarassing. I feel horrible. Please forgive me I am gonna delete this.

#22 ·
Its ok, It was proabably just my recipe. I don't have a filter in my tank so it didn't get stirred up. It just stayed put will my snail ate it while it melted away at the bottom. Please forgive me I feel so bad right now. If anybody's fish dies I am soooo sorry I didn't mean for it to turn out like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.