Betta Fish Forum banner

High Nitrate

308 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bettaluver14 
#1 ·
My mystery snail has been hanging out at the top of the tank, so I tested my water. Ammonia read at 0.25, Nitrite at 0ppm, Nitrate at 40ppm last night. I did a 50% water change yesterday, added Prime and Stress Coat. I also tested my tap water which tested Nitrate at 20ppm, everything else was 0. The tap water has a strong chlorine smell lately, due to something the city is doing to treat it.

I am needing to switch the betta that is in this tank to another tank, and move a different betta into this tank, so the sooner I can remedy this problem the better.

The tank is planted with sand substrate. Should I do another water change?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?NO
Is your tank heated?Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?Mystery Snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Aqueon Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?Twice Daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Prime (1 drop/gallon) and Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:40ppm
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?no change, but mystery snail is haning out at water line
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?no change
When did you start noticing the symptoms?2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?I changed 50% of the water yesterday
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 8 months to 1 year

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.