Betta Fish Forum banner

New with lots of questions

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am new here and new to Betta fish in general. I have lots of questions as I want to make sure I am doing this correctly. We want to get a Betta soon but I'm not sure of where to start so here I am :)

1. Can a Betta live in a one gallon fish bowl without filters, bubbles, etc?
2. What's your opinion on the Betta Vases?
3. Where is the best place to purchase your Betta?
4. How often should the Betta be fed?

Any information would be appericiated very much. We are really excited about our new addition to our family!!!

Thanks!
Dorthy

#2 ·
1) Yes a a better can but it would not be happy
2) I dont like the betta vases because there too small and don't provide enough room for bettas
3) Dont look at the places look at the bettas if you find one that catches your eye go for it there amazing ;]
4) A betta should be fed 2 pellets each day and starved once a week

#4 · (Edited)
Bettas can live in a 1 gallon bowl with no filter, bubbler, etc. But it is recommended they live in 2.5 gallon bowls or tanks instead. Betta vases are just horrible IMHO (the flower in vase kind - I am okay with just a vase). You can get bettas at your lps or lfs. I know there is Petsmart, Petco, Walmart, and other fish stores out there. But when you buy one - check over that they don't look like they have messed up fins or scales. Also, when you touch the cup they should b startled and looking around at what caused the disturbance. Bubblenests or flaring in their cup is also a good sign when buying bettas. You should feed your betta 2-3 pellets twice a day (I do about 12 hours in between... 10 am and 10 pm) and fasted (not feeding) once a week to aid in digestion. Also,freezedried bloodworms or freezedried brineshrimp are good treats for them once a week or so.

#5 ·
Bettas can be kept in simple 1 gallon bowls but this will mean more work for you and the betta likely will not be as healthy. This kind of set up requires water changes several times a week or the water will become dirty and smelly. If you feel like spending a little extra for a filtered tank this will save you a lot of trouble and your betta will be happier and probably live longer.
Betta vases are much like bowls- they require a lot of care- if you go that route make sure you get one with a wide mouth so the fish gets enough air. Never put a betta in a bowl with a narrow opening or block the top with anything airtight.
Where you get your betta is not as important as being sure you buy a healthy one and depending on the breed and store it could cost anything between $3 and $20. Betta in stores are often sick- don't get one that's lying at the bottom of the cup limp or gasping for air.

#7 ·
Yes, a 2.5 gallon tank with everything should be fine. Also, make sure if you get fake plants they are silk. Plastic ones can tear their fins. Oh and get your buddy a little cave or something to hide in :)

#10 ·
dr2b and jinx said it all =D

#11 ·
LOL Glad everyone agrees :D

#12 ·
Yeah, 1 gallon bowls are ok but I definatly suggest at lwast 2.5
My betta is in a 1 gallon bowl, he is ok with it but its not very big or anything, I plan on upgrading really soon. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.