Betta Fish Forum banner

Tumors and When it's Time to Quit

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  earthworm88 
#1 ·
My sister's had a betta that has a tumor for a little bit now, probably around 3 weeks to a month. I was just wondering when we should really start to worry about putting him down. I know what behavioral signs to look out for, but I want to know any physical signs.

Courage's tumor is right above his right eye and has grown quite large, which has effected the eye. It only points downward now and we aren't sure if he can see out of it or not. The tumor itself has slowly started to turn white as it's grown but really hasn't affected his behavior. He's still spunky and building bubble nests.

We change his water a little more frequently than a 2.5 gallon needs because if we don't his water smells like sulfur. We also experimented with dosing his tank with tetracycline, which seemed to make him feel a bit better.

I know a few members have had bettas with tumors on here and was just wondering when you guys decided that it was time based on looks or if you have any experiences that might help him get a little bit of relief.

I'll try to post the best picture I can get tomorrow.

#2 ·
Sorry to hear about Courage being terminally sick :-(
I personally have no experience with fish tumors, and I don't have the right answer to that. I guess it all depends on the caretaker as he/she knows the fish best. Based on what you have said, he seems quite happy and spunky still. I would leave him at that until he becomes lethargic, unable to eat or swim or if the other eye is affected as well and bangs himself on things? It is a judgement call and it's a painful decision to make.

Good luck!

#3 ·
I think once you see him not having a good quality life is when you should consider euthanasia.. Even if it looks bad, he may be feeling fine, so it would be unnecessary to end his life.. I say wait till he looks like he's in pain, lethargic and stuff.. You already know the signs as you said.. So just wait... :(

#4 ·
Whiskey was fine for the longest time and then it broke open. He was just laying on the gravel after that. He wouldn't even come up to eat. That's kinda when I knew it was time.
As long as her boy is eating and swimming and lively, he's got time left. Animals are great that way. They don't feel sorry for themselves, they just live.

#8 ·
I don't know if Courage is having a bad day today or whether he's nearing his time. He's been pretty pale and lethargic today and only ate his breakfast. He has no interest in the pellets (which are his favorite), bloodworms, or krill. No bubble nests for a few days and he's been generally a little less energetic. Today he's just been sitting in his cave until he needs air and does very little swimming. It also looks like a little bit of his tumor burst since there's a raised ring and the middle of it is lower than the outer region. His tumor is mostly all white and we confirmed that he can no longer see out of his right eye.

Does anyone know how to describe or have a picture of a burst tumor? I'll be googling but I just want to if anyone on here's documented it.

#9 ·
It looked like you described. It had been rounded before and then it looked like it collapsed but when I got a better look, there was a chunk missing out of it. It wasn't pretty. It looked like chewed up meat, only white. He was literally laying on the bottom, resting against a plant and gasping. He wouldn't even respond to me.

#11 ·
What a handsome boy! I am sorry that you have to go through with this so soon. But I am sure he would appreciate to be free from pain.

Take care!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.